Jonathan Edwards' fight against Pelagianism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neogillist

Puritan Board Freshman
I just finished reading Edward's treatise on Original Sin. I think it is pretty good, although not very systematic. In the 1750s there was a rise of liberalism in New England due to the influence of the liberal Dr. John Taylor's book in refutation of the doctrine of original sin. Taylor also denied the doctrine of the trinity and thus would be best described as a Unitarian, although he first started out Presbyterian.

In this treatise, Edwards uses both philosophical and scriptural arguments to show that the doctrine of original sin is the only possible and logical scheme that accounts for the existence of sin in the world. He also points out various inconsistencies and flaws in Taylor's reasonings, especially in his perversion of Scriptures in support of the Pelagian view that every human being is born perfectly innocent.

As most former Calvinists, it appears that Edwards held to infant damnation (at least for those outside the covenant), and thus he would differ from Charles Hodge on this point. In fact, in the Editor's Introduction speaking about the New England controversy on original sin the editor notes:

"But Clark had gone off the mark when he claimed that few if any Calvinists believed in infant damnation. He simply must have been out of touch with opinion on this point." (Rev. Samuel Clark was a Congregationalist and contemporary of Edwards who sought to defend the doctrine of original sin).

Charles Chauncy also wrote in defense of original sin, until he heard that Jonathan Edwards was going to answer Dr. Taylor's book. Unfortunately, in his later life (1780s), Chauncy became a Universalist.

Overall, Edwards' treatise did little to slow down the move towards liberalism in New England. I think that is mostly due to the Congregational form of church government, where churches are not accountable to a higher body. Regardless, I thought it was a good treatise, although challenging to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back