Jonathan Edwards' social interactions and temperament, his striving against personal weaknesses, and their impact on his ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
What follows is a little writing exercised based on one of my classes, with a public repentance at the end.

In 1750 Jonathan Edwards was voted out of the pastorate by his church in Northampton, but the journey out probably began in 1744. A discipline case known as the "bad book case" had come before the church, and in a meeting Edwards had read off a list of young persons with whom he needed to speak. Edwards made a boorish mistake: He did not distinguish between perpetrators and witnesses, resulting in needlessly spoiled reputations.

It wasn't the only integral event. Factors more immediate to the dismissal included trying to change the church's long-standing practice of open communion, and a change in stance on qualifications for church membership. However, historians agree that Edwards' general demeanor as a person was no help.

This was the weakness of Edwards' life most likely to blast the gourds of his labors, and they did in some respects. Piper, quoting Marsden, notes that Edwards was "never given to excessive tact" and often came off "brittle" and "unsociable." Matthew Everhard, an Edwards scholar remarks* that Edwards was aware of the problem himself, and it explains some of his resolutions from his younger years. Some resolutions which I think could be related:

21. Resolved: Never to do anything, which if I saw another do, I would consider a just reason to despise him for, or to think in any way lesser of him.

47. Resolved: To endeavor to my utmost to deny whatever is not most agreeable to a good, and universally sweet and benevolent, quiet, peace able, contented, easy, compassionate, generous, humble, meek, modest, submissive, obliging, diligent and industrious, charitable, even, patient, moderate, forgiving, sincere temper; and to do at all times what such a temper would lead me to. Examine strictly every week, whether I have done so. Sabbath morning. May 5,1723.

58. Resolved: Not only to refrain from an air of dislike, fretfulness, and anger in conversations, but also to exhibit an air of love, cheerfulness and graciousness.

59. Resolved: Whenever I am most conscious of feelings of ill nature, bad attitude, and/or anger, I will strive then the most to feel and act good naturedly. At such times I know I may feel that to exhibit good nature might seem in some respects to be to my own immediate disadvantage, but I will nevertheless act in a way that is gracious, realizing that to do otherwise would be imprudent at other times (i.e. times when I am not feeling so irked).

60. Resolved: Whenever my feelings begin to appear in the least out of sorts, when I am conscious of the least uneasiness within my own heart and/or soul, or the least irregularity in my behavior, I will immediately subject myself to the strictest examination. (i.e. Psalm 42.11)

66. Resolved: I will endeavor always to keep a gracious demeanor, and air of acting and speaking in all places and in all companies, except if it should so happen that faithfulness requires otherwise.

70. Let there be something of benevolence, in all that I speak.

I've found traces of this commitment in "Charity and its Fruits", based on sermons preached in 1738 (source). When describing the loveliness of the saints in heaven:

2. They shall be perfectly lovely. — There are many things in this world that in the general are lovely, but yet are not perfectly free from that which is the contrary. There are spots on the sun; and so there are many men that are most amiable and worthy to be loved, who yet are not without some things that are disagreeable and unlovely. Often there is in good men some defect of temper, or character, or conduct, that mars the excellence of what otherwise would seem most amiable; and even the very best of men, are, on earth, imperfect. But it is not so in heaven. There shall be no pollution, or deformity, or unamiable defect of any kind, seen in any person or thing; but everyone shall be perfectly pure, and perfectly lovely in heaven. That blessed world shall be perfectly bright, without any darkness; perfectly fair, without any spot; perfectly clear, without any cloud. No moral or natural defect shall ever enter there; and there nothing will be seen that is sinful or weak or foolish; nothing, the nature or aspect of which is coarse or displeasing, or that can offend the most refined taste or the most delicate eye. No string shall there vibrate out of tune, to cause any jar in the harmony of the music of heaven; and no note be such as to make discord in the anthems of saints and angels.

Touching the resolutions again though, Edwards stopped resolving in 1723, per a previous post I made. The "bad book case" was in 1744. Two decades and a classic sermon series later personal mannerism was still a problem.

When Edwards was offered the presidency of Princeton in 1757, months before his death, it was still a problem. Edwards was aware of the weakness caused by his manner and temperament, and cited it as the primary reason that he was a poor fit for the presidency. From volume 16 of the Yale collection of the works of Jonathan Edwards:

The chief difficulty in my mind, in the way of accepting this important and arduous office, are these two: first my own defects, unfitting me for such an undertaking, many of which are generally known; besides other, which my own heart is conscious to. I have a constitution in many respects peculiar unhappy, attended with flaccid solids, vapid, sizy and scarce fluids, and a low tide of spirits; often occasioning a kind of childish weakness and contemptibleness of speech, presence, and demeanor; with a disagreeable dullness and stiffness, much unfitting me for conversation, but more especially for the government of a college. This poorness of constitution makes me shrink at the thoughts of taking upon me, in the decline of life, such a new and great business, attended with such a multiplicity of cares, and requiring such a degree of activity, alertness and spirit of government; especially as succeeding one, so remarkably well qualified in these respects, giving occasion to everyone to remark the wide difference.

As I understand it, Edwards did accept the presidency because of the urging of other faithful men.

The Scriptures say that for any man to be an elder he must be "of good behavior", or κοσμικον, per 1 Timothy 3:2; such a behavior that is decent and orderly, respectful of other persons, and not always needlessly turning people off. I doubt Edwards would have continued in the ministry after the expulsion if he felt that in regards to this qualification he had habitually botched it; and Edwards was evidently aware of his weakness, and strove to correct it. Others who knew better encouraged him to the presidency of Princeton. Add to this, per Piper article earlier there were social dimensions to the expulsion not tied to Edwards' person. However, let's be real: it did stain an otherwise faithful ministry.

What causes this? Sometimes it's temperament. Some who are put together a certain way and strong in some areas, try as they may, sometimes break legitimate social décor and have no clue they did it.

Other times, it's sin. We offend others because we didn't love them enough to avoid offense, nor for the same reason did we study to avoid it. Whether Edwards sinned is between him and his master. This is no judgment on him.

Were Edwards to walk among us today, who might he be like to us? Maybe that pastor who is deeply spiritual and highly competent in doctrine and practice, but in social situations is reserved, doesn't say much, monotone when he does speak, perhaps fervent at inappropriate times, and occasionally does the thing that more socially sensible people would not have done. Sometimes the phenomenon is in the pulpit itself! You deeply appreciate the treasures this man brings forth; but still, you could appreciate those insights more if properly communicated.

There are lessons for life in Christ's body. Leaving out the occasional, truly necessary propriety of a sharp rebuke or pointed admonition... On the one hand, some of us need to work harder to understand the importance of social décor and personal demeanor to personal effectiveness; or more simply, strive to better love our neighbors so that we will love them after this manner. There may be some who go to their Bibles, books, meditations, and are harvesting bunches of golden apples; but would do more good to place them on platters of silver (Proverbs 21:11). Some naturally shine in this qualification. For some of us, we must die to ourselves in a way others are not called to in order to display good order. It is an act of love to fellow church members. If anything, do it because some church members (like at Northampton) have a long-term memory.

Still, who can't help but feel that the Northampton congregation was the real loser here? Edwards was a redeemed sinner, and maybe despite his efforts even sinfully neglected the platter of silver, but still... didn't he serve them apples of gold? "Love covers a multitude of sins" and we are called to bear with one another's infirmities. Sometimes even godly men require our forbearance and meekness. It's our loss if we don't. None should ever, as Bunyan says in his apologetic for Pilgrim's Progress, toss the apple for the core.

I write mainly for my own edification, as one who is more likely to botch it from this cause than any other. This is in some part a personal and public repentance for all the cage-stagey-ness that maybe shows up in my writing that I am totally unaware of. I leave the judgment to others whether my postings are gold or pyrite, but in the multitude of words sin is not lacking. None of us ever mean harm in the way we present, or write, or speak; but nonetheless, our sin and selfishness run deep, and so does our ignorance, and the fault often lies at our own feet. For my own part, I ask forgiveness publicly.

The Lord bless these things to those whom they apply.

*From lectures at RPTS for PT510 Spiritual Development, taped in 2020. This may not be the exact lecture, but is in substance contained in all three of his lectures for the class.

Last edited:
Matthew Everhard, an Edwards scholar
If you are taking a serious interest in Edwards, and love Dr Everhard's scholarship as I do, you might be interested in the Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia. Dr Edwards contributes a number of entries, and it is a great resource to understand Edward's life, ministry and theology.

You mentioned Marsden's biography and it certainly is one of the leading biographies on Edwards. I also love Iain Murray's biography of Edwards. He is very spiritually perceptive which I find helpful when considering Edward's spiritual and theological growth as a Christian. I found Iain Murray's comments on his book 'Religious Affections', and also on Edwards been removed from his church at Northampton, particularly insightful.

None should ever, as Bunyan says in his apologetic for Pilgrim's Progress, toss the apple for the core.
Do you have a reference for this? I am curious about reading it in context - a few google searches didn't turn up much.

If you are taking a serious interest in Edwards, and love Dr Everhard's scholarship as I do, you might be interested in the Jonathan Edwards Encyclopedia. Dr Edwards contributes a number of entries, and it is a great resource to understand Edward's life, ministry and theology.

You mentioned Marsden's biography and it certainly is one of the leading biographies on Edwards. I also love Iain Murray's biography of Edwards. He is very spiritually perceptive which I find helpful when considering Edward's spiritual and theological growth as a Christian. I found Iain Murray's comments on his book 'Religious Affections', and also on Edwards been removed from his church at Northampton, particularly insightful.

Dr. Edwards contributed to the encyclopedia? I would think he should :) I do hope to read much more of Edwards when opportunity presents itself.

That encyclopedia is on my long list of books to acquire.

You mention the analysis of Marsden and Murray. What did they have to say on it, particularly in the subject matter of this thread?

Seeing as I brought out Edwards' weaknesses, it's worth balancing these notes with his strengths.

There's two other amazing things to come out of Edwards' removal from the Northampton church. The OP shows Edwards' exasperation to the situation; but one who had observed his countenance at the event remarked that upon the announcement he was entirely peaceful and undisturbed. No sign of uneasiness. Wish I could find the quote.

The next is Edwards' farewell sermon. When I last read it years ago, I found no trace of discontent, anger, frustration; he makes no witticisms, takes no pot-shots, makes no deprecations against the church. A friend of mine tells me that Edwards disregarded the first draft of his sermon because upon reflecting found it too ill-natured. What's linked is what was delivered--and this to a church where 90% of the church voted him out. Tolle lege and you'll see.

What's wonderful is how some of his resolutions are in full manifest bloom in that moment. If you compare this information to what's in the resolutions, you see that by the grace of God, despite having given up the resolutions in 1723, Edwards did certainly become something of what he resolved to be.

Dr. Edwards contributed to the encyclopedia? I would think he should :)
Oops that was a slip up :) I did mean Dr Everhard. I follow his Youtube page. He is helpful on many things of interest to the Christian.
You mention the analysis of Marsden and Murray. What did they have to say on it, particularly in the subject matter of this thread?
Sorry I am not much help. It has been a long time since I read them and they are on my list to read again. I would say Marsden writes as an academic historian, Murray as a wise pastor. They nicely compliment each other In my humble opinion.

Jake, @RPEphesian,

It is interesting to see somewhat of the inner life of learnèd and godly men. Thanks for sharing these things. Was he being over-scrupulous and self-critical, or was he accurately seeing his emotional poverty? In either case, is there not a remedy in Christ? We – some of us – have grown up in families-of-origin with such emotional deficits that we carry them ourselves all our lives. And yet, in Christ, is there not a joy and graciousness and ease we have from Him that may illumine our own hearts? The case of Edwards gives me to ponder.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but from my reading of both men, Marsden is a bit more critical. To be fair, Marsden does note that Edwards tried to reign in some of Whitefield's misplaced zeal in interpreting revival.

Jake, @RPEphesian,

It is interesting to see somewhat of the inner life of learnèd and godly men. Thanks for sharing these things. Was he being over-scrupulous and self-critical, or was he accurately seeing his emotional poverty? In either case, is there not a remedy in Christ? We – some of us – have grown up in families-of-origin with such emotional deficits that we carry them ourselves all our lives. And yet, in Christ, is there not a joy and graciousness and ease we have from Him that may illumine our own hearts? The case of Edwards gives me to ponder.

I think Edwards acknowledged a personal deficit that was real, and historians believed was a true deficit (eg. Marsden).

To balance it out, all that's been brought out in this thread is where Edwards' demeanor was perceived as a problem. If he could look 1 Timothy 3 and sincerely say he was called, he might be better than he or historians thought he was. The trustees for Princeton weren't too worried.

It may not be that Edwards was emotionally-impoverished, but was poor in self-expression. I'd imagine a man who wrote "Charity and Its Fruits", and who could call his own marriage an "uncommon union" would know something of real love; but real love can be poorly expressed.

Was he self-scrupulous? I lean towards not. @BayouHuguenot mentions Edwards' interactions with the revival phenomena. Edwards tended to be among the especially skilled in discerning the wheat from the chaff, even spotting the chaff in men like Whitefield. The fact that Edwards was in his fifties, having ministered thirty years, at the time he wrote to the trustees might evidence some truth in his self-evaluation.

Could it be sin in which Edwards hadn't apprehended Christ as much as he could have? Possibly. Social imprudence often (but not exclusively) stems from lack of love, and it goes without saying there's only one person by whom we grow in love. Family background? Not sure.

Edwards was aware of his lack of décor, for thirty years apparently, which possibly may have been constitution. If so, I don't think one is so culpable; but with that is, unfortunately, a natural dim-sightedness to how one is perceived, how one comes across, and what others are really communicating.

I posted all this, in part, because I relate to it, and it's a place where I need to focus, and I think about it in relation to 1 Timothy 3 on good behavior, or κοσμιον. I can think of dynamics that may have influenced me to be as I am now, sinful and non-sinful; but these details about Edwards strike me because you have the more "bookish"--maybe lives-inside-his-head--personality if you will, in a public and personal profession, truly faithful and competent in his charge, yet this was a problem.

Something such as maintaining good behavior requires some of us to die to self, more than it may for others. Edwards' life shows, among its many good aspects, that it's not immaterial.

Last edited:
I think Edwards acknowledged a personal deficit that was real, and historians believed was a true deficit (eg. Marsden).

To balance it out, all that's been brought out in this thread is where Edwards' demeanor was perceived as a problem. If he could look 1 Timothy 3 and sincerely say he was called, he might be better than he or historians thought he was. The trustees for Princeton weren't too worried.

It may not be that Edwards was emotionally-impoverished, but was poor in self-expression. I'd imagine a man who wrote "Charity and Its Fruits", and who could call his own marriage an "uncommon union" would know something of real love; but real love can be poorly expressed.

Was he self-scrupulous? I lean towards not. @BayouHuguenot mentions Edwards' interactions with the revival phenomena. Edwards tended to be among the especially skilled in discerning the wheat from the chaff, even spotting the chaff in men like Whitefield. The fact that Edwards was in his fifties, having ministered forty years, at the time he wrote to the trustees might evidence some truth in his self-evaluation.

Could it be sin in which Edwards hadn't apprehended Christ as much as he could have? Possibly. Social imprudence often (but not exclusively) stems from lack of love, and only by apprehension of Christ can we grow in our love.

Family background? He was at odds with his father regarding his conversion, but I don't know if it factors or not.

Edwards was aware of his lack of décor, for thirty years apparently, which possibly may have been constitution. If so, I don't think one is so culpable; but with that is, unfortunately, a natural dim-sightedness to how one is perceived, how one comes across, and what others are really communicating.

I posted all this, in part, because I relate to it, and it's a place where I need to focus, and I think about it in relation to 1 Timothy 3 on good behavior, or κοσμιον. I can think of dynamics that may have influenced me to be as I am now, sinful and non-sinful; but these details about Edwards strike me because you have the more "bookish"--maybe lives-inside-his-head--personality if you will, in a public and personal profession, truly faithful and competent in his charge, yet this was a problem.

Something such as maintaining good behavior requires some of us to die to self, more than it may for others. Edwards' life shows, among its many good aspects, that it's not immaterial.

I don't know if I would say they were "faults" or "deficits." New England Puritanism was given over to introspection. JE was par for the course. I don't fault him for that, but at the same time I am fairly anti-introspection so I don't know how objective I can be. To his credit, he recognized the Halfway Covenant for the miserable disaster it was, but I don't think he had all the good covenantal tools that were inherent in the Reformed tradition (i.e., God's covenant promises in the sacraments do for me what introspection did for the New England Puritans).

I don't know if I would say they were "faults" or "deficits." New England Puritanism was given over to introspection. JE was par for the course. I don't fault him for that, but at the same time I am fairly anti-introspection so I don't know how objective I can be. To his credit, he recognized the Halfway Covenant for the miserable disaster it was, but I don't think he had all the good covenantal tools that were inherent in the Reformed tradition (i.e., God's covenant promises in the sacraments do for me what introspection did for the New England Puritans).

I've not read Edwards' personal diary, but given the Everhard comments and resolution #48, one probably shouldn't pattern himself after Edwards in his early 20's. I would agree to that.

Though by personal deficit, I mean more deficiency in personal presentation, something like emotional intelligence as we would call it today; which I think can be linked to constitution or besetting sins, apart from bad experimental theology. I tend not to link the experimental theology with his behavior because his demeanor persisted in the years where he was at his sharpest, most seasoned, and most likely well-grounded in his acceptance with God. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the link you're seeing?

Side issue, but on covenantal tools it's interesting to ponder... It's clear-cut to us now that unbelievers and non-professors should not approach the Table; yet to some greater minds, it wasn't so clear.

Side issue, but on covenantal tools it's interesting to ponder... It's clear-cut to us now that unbelievers and non-professors should not approach the Table; yet to some greater minds, it wasn't so clear.

The problem with some of later New England Puritanism is that if you didn't have a mighty experience of grace, you weren't converted, which means you couldn't approach the table. That in my opinion is a terrible view. I wouldn't pin such a view on JE. I think he had to respond to the HalfWay Covenant disaster.

Regardless of the time in which a person lives, it is HIGHLY unusual to find a man who is proficient in studies and the pulpit and who is a gifted people person as well. I wouldn't pin this on New England Puritanism or anything else. Finding a Dr. Phil and a great pulpiteer is a very rare thing.

Regardless of the time in which a person lives, it is HIGHLY unusual to find a man who is proficient in studies and the pulpit and who is a gifted people person as well. I wouldn't pin this on New England Puritanism or anything else. Finding a Dr. Phil and a great pulpiteer is a very rare thing.

i don't blame people skills or not on JE. I do find fault with New England covenant theology, although I am not saying that JE held to the worst of New England theology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back