Joseph Caryl on Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for free any way.;) The 17th century editions should be online via subscription to Early English Books online. Not inexpensive though; maybe a university near you has access via a subscription? The quarto 12 volume set was reprinted by Reformation Heritage Books and is still available I think or at least they offer sets now and then if out of print. The folio edition, which is really quite the set to own as they are huge things is reproduced in EEBO and on microfilm. Volume 1 appears at Reel 1120:11, and volume 2 at Reel 1121:1 of the UMI microfilm set Early English books 1641-1700. For online access you can use advance search and search on the reel and position number to bring them up. Assuming they have been digitized. Not everything on film has been yet I don't believe. You can requet a trial period for a subscription for EEBO at http://eebo.chadwyck.com/home
EDIT: I should add that you will need broadband or some kind of fast connection to the Internet to consider this I should think as the pages are images; not text.

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by NaphtaliPress]

Does anyone reads parts of Job by Carl, and is it worthy to buy ? I know that Sourgeon recommends him.

I read various chapters from the WTS Dallas set, prior to each class last semester and I thought it was well written, but not above what you might get out of Henry or Calvin. The content is very devotional. It is $$$ and takes valuble shelf space. For the money, I think I would buy Calvin's commentary on job and save yourself $250-300. FYI- Its a photo copy which has middle english style Lang and fonts. Makes it harder to read if your not use to it.

As of today, I have seen Joseph Caryl's complete 12-volume commentary on Job for $263 at Amazon and $280 at Reformation Heritage Books.

Joseph Caryl, English Puritan (1602 - February 7, 1673) was a member of the Westminster Assembly. He was ejected from his pulpit for nonconformity in 1662. He was a moderate Independent. His most famous work is his commentary on the Book of Job. More on his life and works can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back