Joseph Caryl on the sure covenant in Christ’s blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The Covenant which God makes with man is a sure Covenant. Hence called a Covenant of Salt, Numb. 18. 19. Because Salt preserves from perishing and putrefaction. The Covenant of God with man about temporal things is called a Covenant of Salt, and a Covenant for ever, 2 Chron. 15. 3.

For though his Covenant about temporal things (as all temporals must) hath an end of termination, yet it hath no end of corruption; time will conclude it, but time cannot violate it. But as for his Covenant about eternal things, that, like eternity knows not only no end of corruption, but none of termination.

Although my House (saith gasping David) be not so with God, yet be hath made with me an everlasting Covenant, ordered in all things and sure: for this is all my salvation and all my desire, although he make it not to grow, 2 Sam. 23. 5. And what is it that makes the Covenant of God with man thus sure? Sure not only in it self, but (as the Apostle speaks) to all the seed, Rom 5. 16. Is it not this, because it hath a strong foundation, a double, impregnable foundation? First, his own free grace. Secondly, the blood of Christ; which is therefore also called, the blood of the Covenant, Heb. 10. 29. Because of all this, this All, which hath an infinity in it, The Lord God hath made with us a sure Covenant.

For the reference, see Joseph Caryl on the sure covenant in Christ’s blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back