Joseph Caryl on the uniting of the three kingdoms in the Solemn League and Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
And this Covenant is the bond of a twofold union. First, it unites us of this Kingdom among our selves, and this Kingdom with the other two. Secondly, it makes a special union of all those, who shall take it holily and sincerely throughout the three Kingdoms, with the One-most God. Weak things bound together are strong, much more then, when strong are bound up with strong; most of all, when strong are bound up with Almighty. If in this Covenant we should only join weak to weak, we might be strong. But (blessed be God) we join strong (as creatures may be accounted strong) with strong.

The strong Kingdoms of England and Ireland, with the strong Kingdom of Scotland. A threefold cord twisted of three such strong Cords will not easily, if at all, be broken. They which single (blessed be God) have yet such strength, how strong may they be when conjoined? As the Apostle writes to his Romans (c. 6. 19.) I speak after the manner of men, because of the infirmity of our flesh: So I speak now after the manner of men, concerning the strength of our flesh (outward meanes) in these Kingdoms. For as the Apostle Peter speaks in like phrase, though to another occasion, (2 Pet. 3. 9. the Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness. So I may say, no man, no Kingdoms are strong to any purpose, as the Lord counts strength. ...

For more, see Joseph Caryl on the uniting of the three kingdoms in the Solemn League and Covenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back