Josh 7:4

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark thompson

Puritan Board Freshman
Joshua 7:4
KJV 4 So there went up thither of the people about three thousand men: and they fled before the men of Ai.
Geneva 4 So there went vp thither of the people about three thousande men, and they fledde before the men of Ai.

These are my thoughts.
We should run to the world not away from where God wants us to go.

I think you missed that verse 4 has a context.

Josh. 7:1 starts with the word "but" so start with the previous verse.

Josh. 6:27 So the LORD was with Joshua; and his fame was noised throughout all the country.

Josh. 7:1 But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.​

So while the LORD was with Joshua, the people of Israel had sinned against God.

Josh. 7:2-3 And Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Bethaven, on the east side of Bethel, and spake unto them, saying, Go up and view the country. And the men went up and viewed Ai. And they returned to Joshua, and said unto him, Let not all the people go up; but let about two or three thousand men go up and smite Ai; and make not all the people to labour thither; for they are but few.​

Joshua sent spies to view the opposition.

Josh. 7:4-5 So there went up thither of the people about three thousand men: and they fled before the men of Ai. And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.​

There should have been little opposition, it would only take a small number of people, but the Israelites were routed. Why?

Josh. 7:6-9 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads. And Joshua said, Alas, O Lord GOD, wherefore hast thou at all brought this people over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? would to God we had been content, and dwelt on the other side Jordan! O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies! For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land shall hear of it, and shall environ us round, and cut off our name from the earth: and what wilt thou do unto thy great name?​

Joshua complained to God.

Josh. 7:10-12 And the LORD said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face? Israel hath sinned, and they have also transgressed my covenant which I commanded them: for they have even taken of the accursed thing, and have also stolen, and dissembled also, and they have put it even among their own stuff. Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they were accursed: neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you.​

God declares that the Israelites could not stand against the opposition because of unrepentant sin. And God even says He would not be with Joshua anymore unless they repent.

So if anything, your verse, or more specifically this passage, is about a leader, who God is with, should not send out unrepentant sinners to do the work of God unless he firsts leads them into repentance.

Hey, Clark, may I ask a question?

You've been posting snippets of thoughts from Joshua for a while now. What is your purpose? What interaction, if any, do you hope to have with the rest of us?

As in the response above, there have been times when some of us thought you expressed a fine idea but one that wasn't really in line with the context of the book. We've engaged to discuss this, but the discussion never goes anywhere. Do you want to discuss what these verses mean and learn more together?

Or maybe you just have a thought and find it helpful to put it down somewhere, and you're done. Maybe posting here is a way you stay faithful in personal devotions, and the content of what you say matters less than the fact that you've read and said something, anything. I know several guys who do that, and engaging them in discussion about how their thoughts could be more biblical is not really encouraging in their case.

I'm just wondering what you expect here, and how we can be encouraging to you.

Last edited:
Joshua 7:5

KJV 5 And the men of Ai smote of them about thirty and six men: for they chased them from before the gate even unto Shebarim, and smote them in the going down: wherefore the hearts of the people melted, and became as water.

Geneva 5 And the men of Ai smote of them vpon a thirtie and sixe men: for they chased them from before the gate vnto Shebarim, and smote them in the going downe: wherfore the heartes of the people melted away like water.

These are my thoughts.

When we run after God our enemies in time flee and are judged.

Joshua 7:6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.

Joshua 7:6 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)

6 Then Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the Ark of the Lord, until the eventide, he, and the Elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads.

1599 Geneva Bible (GNV) Geneva Bible, 1599 Edition. Published by Tolle Lege Press. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without written permission from the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations in articles, reviews, and broadcasts.

These are my thoughts.
This is was a sign of mourning and reverence to the Lord, we should show reverence to the Lord even in our most grief stricken times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back