Joshua 2 and the use of "flashbacks"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
As I read Joshua 2 I am struck by the total disregard for a chronological sequence of events. Instead the narrator focuses on different aspects of the story: first the danger the spies were in and Rahab's courage before the king's soldiers, then the confession of faith from Rahab and the agreement to spare her, then the act of lowering them from the window then back to a more leisurely discussion of the details before resuming the escape and return.

If it was a film then it would constitute cut-scenes (?) but the editing is part of the text. Just as a film buff might analyse why some background of the actor as a child is placed in flashback so we need to see the editing process as part of the text. The arrangement tells us something! Like a highlighter or marking pen the author is anxious to tell the story in segments to give added emphasis.

I just wonder how often we notice this: in an age where people preach on a single verse?

I don't see what you see. It seems like a pretty straightforward narrative.

Here is a summary of what I see in Joshua 2:

1. Joshua sends the spies. They come to Rahab’s house.
2. King of Jericho hears of it,
3. King sends messenger to Rahab directing her to bring the men who are lodging at her place.
4. Rahab had hidden the men, tells the messengers they were at her place—she didn’t know where they came from.
5. She further tells them that the spies left before the gate was shut. She directs the King's men to pursue them quickly.
6. But in reality, she had hid them on the roof with flax.
7. So the king’s men go running after the false report. The gate was shut.
8. Rahab goes up to the men on the roof.
9-11. Professes her understanding and her fear of God.
12-13. Asks the spies for a promise, for a sign, that she and her family will be saved.
14. Spies do promise, if she remains quiet.
15. She lets them down by a rope.
16. She calls out to them, telling them where to run, and where to wait.
17-18. The spies acknowledge their oath, tells her to tie the scarlet cord in the window for a sign.
19. Spies remind her that only those in her house are protected.
20. And remind her that if she tells on them, the oath is invalid.
21. She agrees and ties the thread.
22-24. Spies return to camp and report.

I don't see what you see. It seems like a pretty straightforward narrative.

Here is a summary of what I see in Joshua 2:

1. Joshua sends the spies. They come to Rahab’s house.
2. King of Jericho hears of it,
3. King sends messenger to Rahab directing her to bring the men who are lodging at her place.
4. Rahab had hidden the men, tells the messengers they were at her place—she didn’t know where they came from.
5. She further tells them that the spies left before the gate was shut. She directs the King's men to pursue them quickly.
6. But in reality, she had hid them on the roof with flax.
7. So the king’s men go running after the false report. The gate was shut.
8. Rahab goes up to the men on the roof. (She goes up before they lie down - what significance is this. They had to stand, what with everybody looking for them? I think not)
9-11. Professes her understanding and her fear of God.
12-13. Asks the spies for a promise, for a sign, that she and her family will be saved.
14. Spies do promise, if she remains quiet.
15. She lets them down by a rope.
16. She calls out to them, telling them where to run, and where to wait. (I cannot see a yelling contest as a particularly secure form of communication, it is In my humble opinion much more likely that this conversation was in privacy of the room.)
17-18. The spies acknowledge their oath, tells her to tie the scarlet cord in the window for a sign. (eh, nope: they say "this cord of scarlet" it is in their possession and they give it to her. Of course they could climb back up the rope, in fact that must be what happened if we wish to maintain this passage is chronological)
19. Spies remind her that only those in her house are protected.
20. And remind her that if she tells on them, the oath is invalid.
21. She agrees and ties the thread.
22-24. Spies return to camp and report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back