Josiah Shute on the sin of avoiding the Lord’s Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
[T]here be those that will not come to the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper, (I speak what I know) because they say it is a sacred thing; and if they come there, they must enter into a solemn Covenant with God, which they know they cannot keep, and therefore they forbear to come:

I commend the reverent esteem which these people have of that sacred Institution; but I cannot but mourn for this, that they are afraid to tie themselves to God: Doth David desire and beg of God, To knit his heart unto him, Psal. 86.11. And doth Saint James say, Draw near unto God, and he will draw near unto you, and do these fear being tied too close to God? Again, I cannot but mourn to see the Devil transformed into an Angel of light in this matter; I confess a man that comes to God’s Table ought seriously to bethink himself what he goes about; but yet let me advise you, not to run into one sin, under a pretence of avoiding another: for what knowest thou, but if thou come prepared, that in thy receiving those sacred mysteries, God may give thee strength to do all that thou promisest.

For the reference, see Josiah Shute on the sin of avoiding the Lord’s Table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back