JPEGmini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
Just started using this program recently. Essentially it is a JPEG shrinking program that shrinks photos in such a way that there is no perceptible loss in image quality. As image sensors get bigger and bigger the size of JPG's has grown as well. I have a digital camera that takes 5-7MB photos with every shot. This program reduces the file size to approximately 2MB. I've applied to the photos I took in this year and saved about 2GB of storage space.

Can you mass convert? Freeware or where is it available?

They have an online converter but the PC version is $19 for the product ($199 for Pro). The stand-alone version allows you to drop selected folders or files to be converted in bulk. The Pro version promises quicker conversion (using multiple CPU's) and a Lightroom plugin.

Luckily for me, storage is cheap. I go through 2 Tb of photos a year easy.

I'm not worried about the price of storage. I have a NAS and can expand for a reasonable amount of money. Even so, there is a certain amount of "gravity" to a large amount of data. If I can reduce the amount I would have to restore (while not losing quality of images) then I will do so. Even with a 100M connection to the internet it takes days to backup my data to Cloud backup.

JPEG is already a lossy compression. So you are layering one level of compression on top of another. Is the output a JPEG file or something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back