'Jungle Doctor' Book Series for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandermsmith

Puritan Board Junior
Has anyone read any of the Jungle Doctor series of children's books? Any thoughts on them? I'm having a read of Jungle Doctor Attacks Witchcraft and am pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone know about the man himself, Paul White?

Many of the children in our church have read the books over the years (they were donated to the church library) and I've enjoyed a couple of them myself and can't think of any reason not to recommend them. I don't know anything about Mr White beyond what he wrote about his own experiences.

Has anyone read any of the Jungle Doctor series of children's books? Any thoughts on them? I'm having a read of Jungle Doctor Attacks Witchcraft and am pleasantly surprised.

Are we to detect a slight change of heart?:rolleyes:
https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...ays-games-and-movie.98127/page-2#post-1199355
Is fiction ever justifiable? Fiction is just another word for lying. Fictional stories are not true so it's hard to see what real profit can be gained from, for example, reading a fictional book. Even if it is a "christian" or "ethical" story the experiences of the people depicted in the story are not real. How can we get spiritual profit from things which never happened? This would also apply to plays/films: either the story is fictional or even if it is an "historical drama" the actors are not the people they are depicting. There is pretence and falsehood: these are vices not virtues and the fact that we "know" this does not really matter. Is a liar not sinning if the person to whom he is lying knows he is lying?

Granted there are stories which are of far greater immorality than others. But even of the "best" of stories one must ask: are they worth using up my precious time? I'm sure every one of us on this forum has many theological/spiritual books they keep meaing to read and yet never get round to it. Why waste one's time further with fiction?

When I was a child in the 1970's I listened to his Jungle Doctor stories on a record. I learnt about Twigger the Giraffe, Dick dick the Antelope, and Boo hoo the Hippopotamus. As a child I loved the series.
All I know was that he was a missionary in Africa, and a medical doctor, and I think he died in Australia in 1990. I don't know much about his theology.

They're based on true events and incidents in his time there.
As is a lot of fiction my dear brother. I’m just pulling your leg a little is all.:detective:

My understanding is that his books contain a good bit of African folklore and fables to help convey biblical truths. They look very helpful, in my opinion.

And back to the OP. I am not familiar with them other than our bookstore selling them. They seem to be popular. Here is what I found with a search:

http://www.jungledoctorcomics.com/a-history-of-dr-Paul-white/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back