Jury Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Here we go again.

Fill out their little online form. Watch their little online video. Take their little online test. All for jury duty that starts (if I have to go) in mid-September.

I want to yell, "Enough! I've been doing this since 1971, OK?"

I've heard a rumor that, in Los Angeles County, you don't have to do jury duty anymore once you turn 70 (which I'll be in November). With my luck, it's not true.

Sigh.

I was called to jury duty earlier this year and had to fill out a form.

I said (with clarifying language that I meant no disrespect to the court) that I would only rule first based on God’s word and the need for 2-3 witnesses, and only after that based on the state and US constitution (but only where they are in accordance with God’s word).

I was then messaged later that I was not needed.

I said (with clarifying language that I meant no disrespect to the court) that I would only rule first based on God’s word and the need for 2-3 witnesses, and only after that based on the state and US constitution (but only where they are in accordance with God’s word).

This is a great response. I will use it if I ever get tapped.

I may too somehow; it is succinct to some major problems Christians at least should be resolved on if ever on a jury and I've come close but never actual gone to trial. I did beg off on religious grounds on a divorce trial by jury, of all things (can you spell bitter divorce?). However, there is no getting out of going and losing the day in Dallas county; one day, one jury if called (days, weeks, etc.). You go and wait and claim your 6 bucks for service. As most are settled before ever seeing a jury most don't even leave the main jury room. Last time I went maybe four years ago or at least pre covid, may half the room maybe little less didn't get called for panels and were let go before noon. Last time I got on a panel and then on a jury we waited outside the jury room like forever and then were called in and thanked by the judge; the woman who had charged a man with assault decided the guy wasn't the guy just a few minutes before. Lucky guy, pardon the term.

This is a great response. I will use it if I ever get tapped.

Should Christians try to avoid jury duty? I mean, I understand that it is a hassle and we should certainly give honest answers to any questions that are posed to us, but the thrust here seems to be a desire not to have to serve. If you were accused of a crime, wouldn't you want to have a few Christians on your jury?

Should Christians try to avoid jury duty? I mean, I understand that it is a hassle and we should certainly give honest answers to any questions that are posed to us, but the thrust here seems to be a desire not to have to serve. If you were accused of a crime, wouldn't you want to have a few Christians on your jury?
I am not trying to avoid it, but if they want me, I want them to understand my standard is God's standard

I wanted to serve. [Not that I knew if the man was guilty or not], the guy was accused of murdering 'his woman' and baby. But coming from the Covenanter background, by conscience I needed to state what I stated because that's how the Lord calls me to judge matters.

It's actually the law here; you can be fined next round up they make of those that didn't show. I don't think folks should lie or make up things to avoid going, but I certainly believe Christians should be clear on what sorts of judgments they are going to be asked to make and make clear to the judge and attorneys during voir dire if any issues. The only time that happened to me is one of the two or few times I got on the final twelve and it was just a bitter divorce trial to split up the goods. They actually asked the question knowing this could be an issue with some folks. I said I had issues with the morality of the thing and wouldn't get past that (forget the details but it was not abuse or unfaithfulness; just a bitter divorce of some rich people). They didn't push it and the judge after asking some questions let me go.

Last edited:
I have served on a jury once. It involved a crime that had happened in one of the local establishments.

#Jealous! I've wanted to do jury duty, but so far I've never received so much as a summons. Neither has my wife. But if I do get jury duty I hope its for something really juicy, not something boring like two siblings squabbling over their parent's china collection.

#Jealous! I've wanted to do jury duty, but so far I've never received so much as a summons. Neither has my wife. But if I do get jury duty I hope its for something really juicy, not something boring like two siblings squabbling over their parent's china collection.
I've never been summoned either and have always wanted to participate. Maybe the government already knows me too well.

This thread shot a jolt through me because it reminded me I had been summonsed to do duty in my previous county of residence and hadn't sent in a letter requesting excusal, explaining I no longer live in that county. Thanks for the reminder!

Totally agree with this. I have thought of it often as a great civic privilege, to offer justice as fairly as possible. I've been on three juries, and served each time.

Dallas County used to use the county voter register roll. They changed maybe 8-10 years ago to Driver's License roll to trap, I mean give more people the honor of serving.

Christians make the best jurors, and we should generally be willing to serve. In matters that come before a jury, true conflicts between our faith and the law that might make serving a problem will be rather rare in the US.

That said, I nearly always find it inconvenient and end up hoping I won't have to report and/or serve. And I have a bit of a bad attitude about the large number of potential jurors who have to disrupt their lives to report every day the courts are open. Most would not really have to be there if the legal system respected jurors' time better and put an end to much of the legal maneuvering that uses jurors as pawns. When I reported on the courts, I learned that a few rule changes could greatly reduce the jury pools without endangering justice. But trial lawyers do like to play their games.

and claim your 6 bucks for service.
Parking used to be more than they paid, but I see online that they have reduced parking rates for jurors now.

've heard a rumor that, in Los Angeles County, you don't have to do jury duty anymore once you turn 70
Thats the rule around here.

Around here, you can call the night before and generally don't even have to go in. I've only gotten to serve on one jury (back when I lived in Dallas - they can't be as picky). I would think that most lawyers would strike me if I did get called in.

The last time I was summonsed for jury duty it was a criminal case. The wrinkle: I was representing the defendant.

I told them I'd rather be on the jury, but no.....

The last time I was summonsed for jury duty it was a criminal case. The wrinkle: I was representing the defendant.

Victor,

Assuming I'm not missing a joke here, and you are serious, that is hilarious. :D I needed the laugh!

Per Iain, Lane, and others: I served as foreman of a jury a few years back and was able to help the jury properly focus and decide the case based on the law rather than the persons involved. Two female members of the jury especially needed such focus: one found the plaintiff like her brother-in-law, who is not to be trusted, she told us, and the other, a young lady in her early twenties, openly professed that she found the defendant "cute" and felt sorry for him. Some others of us, with me leading as foreman, were able to bring the focus back to the judge's fair and reasonable instructions to the jury. We came to a just and equitable verdict (including damages), according to the judge, whose opinion I quietly sought (after the case was concluded, I should make clear).

Peace,
Alan

Last edited:

Was this in your current county or previous?

I was summoned before law school, but didn't make it past the initial pool. Now I'm afraid I'll never be able to serve.

Was this in your current county or previous?

I was summoned before law school, but didn't make it past the initial pool. Now I'm afraid I'll never be able to serve.
Current. I received the summons on the same day we were calling ready for trial in two weeks. There were two other cases on the same day, but mine had priority.

I walked into the clerk's office with my summons and the deputy clerk just burst out into a grin, holding her hand out for me to return it.

Current. I received the summons on the same day we were calling ready for trial in two weeks. There were two other cases on the same day, but mine had priority.

I walked into the clerk's office with my summons and the deputy clerk just burst out into a grin, holding her hand out for me to return it.
Too funny! But I can understand this taking place in rural counties as opposed to somewhere like Pierce or King County.

Too funny! But I can understand this taking place in rural counties as opposed to somewhere like Pierce or King County.
In 25 years of living either in King or Pierce Counties, I only was called in once. It was a misdemeanor case and I got booted at voir dire.

That story is sort of humorous too. The prosecutor was asking questions of the jury--he asked me if I thought it was ever justifiable to point a gun at a teenager. I was astounded at the open-ended nature of the question and replied: "well, I've seen some pretty big and mean teenagers around here."

The prosecutor abruptly moved to excuse me for cause and then changed his mode of questioning.

In 25 years of living either in King or Pierce Counties, I only was called in once. It was a misdemeanor case and I got booted at voir dire.

That story is sort of humorous too. The prosecutor was asking questions of the jury--he asked me if I thought it was ever justifiable to point a gun at a teenager. I was astounded at the open-ended nature of the question and replied: "well, I've seen some pretty big and mean teenagers around here."

The prosecutor abruptly moved to excuse me for cause and then changed his mode of questioning.
For one thing, ages 18 and 19 mean you are an adult. The question seems as loaded as any gun one might point.

Last time I got on a panel and then on a jury we waited outside the jury room like forever and then were called in and thanked by the judge; the woman who had charged a man with assault decided the guy wasn't the guy just a few minutes before. Lucky guy, pardon the term.

It's so nice when couples reconcile :)

I served last spring and was able to get a Christian friend to follow up at the detention center after the young fella was convicted.

This is loving our neighbors at all levels: making sure someone charged received a fair trial; getting some level of justice for those who had been wronged; respecting our local governing authorities; and trying to shine the gospel into the darkness around us.

I was only called once, and they settled the day before so I didn’t have to show up. My husband got jury duty right away after that and it tuned out that my sister was the defendant in the case! She had been in a wreck and the other woman was suing her. Once my husband informed the court, he was free to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back