Jury Duty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Yes, I'm heading to downtown Long Beach for jury duty tomorrow. I'll be in the same courthouse where I did jury duty for the very first time - in 1971, when I was 18.

The courthouse was opened in 1960, so it's 53 years old and in very decrepit condition. And, it can be dangerous sometimes because, occasionally, criminal suspects have to be in the same places where the general public is. Long Beach is getting a brand spanking new courthouse, complete with all the latest security doodads, but it's not quite ready to open for business, more's the pity.

Ah, well, I'll probably take Macaulay's The History of England from the Accession of James II with me to pass the time - unless I change my mind and take John Evelyn's Diary instead.

Doing one's civic duty...

Tim/Marrow Man has jury duty coming up soon, too. I think it's interesting to see what different jurisdictions restrict, how they manage the jury pools, etc. Some don't allow knitting needles, for example---which tells me whoever made that decision has never seen a modern one up close. A pencil is more dangerous. :)

Did jury duty once, the defendant plead guilty at the last minute it was weird.

A surprising number of defendants don't plead until the jury is seated - they must be hoping for a jury of their peers (outlaws) and realize the jig is up when they see honest faces.

A surprising number of defendants don't plead until the jury is seated - they must be hoping for a jury of their peers (outlaws) and realize the jig is up when they see honest faces.

Or....as happens to me from time to time, the prosecution blinks, and makes a better offer.

Huh I heard that was "irregular" (quote from the Jim Varney clip up top lol) and that it didn't happen much but maybe I heard wrong.

Classic Varney! Now I want to watch the entire movie lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back