Just received "Heirs with Christ" by Beeke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galatians220

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
My husband and I just received a complimentary copy of Dr. Joel Beeke's new "Heirs with Christ - The Puritans on Adoption," and I've been thumbing through it. Looks really, really good!

Chapter 7 is entitled "Pastoral Advice in Promoting Adoption" and runs 15 pages. Speaks candidly to pastors on how they can foster and help believers develop their rudimentary sense of "adoption" into God's family. What a blessing! I love what I've read so far!

I think we'll have to order a few to stock our new church literature "bank" with.

Anyway, if you were wondering whether you should get this book, I would highly recommend it. (Reformation Heritage Books is the publisher...)

Margaret

RHB just posted a new Heirs with Christ video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNdrpY0yU_c]YouTube - Heirs With Christ-Trail #2[/ame]

I have a review copy coming in the mail, and am very interested in what Beeke has to say about this.

Dr. Beeke's footnotes in the chapter I mentioned are to Shepard ("The Sincere Convert and the Sound Believer"), Burgess ("Spiritual Refining"), Watson ("A Body of Practical Divinity"), Manton ("Works of Manton") and many more.

This is a book (just 129 pp. including its bibliography; most helpfully, it also includes a Scripture index) that you could put into any Christian's hands, whether it would be those of a new convert or of an elderly saint. We've been blessed to hear Dr. Beeke preach a few times at the Heritage Netherlands Reformed Church and have enjoyed chatting with him afterwards on occasion. We have other books of his, but I really like this one! His "pastor's heart" comes through loud and clear in "Heirs with Christ."

I hope you very much enjoy yours when it comes!

Margaret

Last edited:
Very nice! :up:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f118/heirs-Christ-puritans-adoption-joel-beeke-32387/

Andrew, thanks so much for the reference to the previous discussion of this book -- I've had a long day and didn't feel up to looking for it myself... Thank you! :)

Margaret

You're very welcome, Margaret, and thank you for the feedback on the book. I'm looking forward to this myself very much. :pilgrim:

Margaret, Ivan or anyone else -- Does Beeke's book make reference at all or quote from Simon Ford's The Spirit of Bondage and Adoption (1655)? Just wondering...

Margaret, Ivan or anyone else -- Does Beeke's book make reference at all or quote from Simon Ford's The Spirit of Bondage and Adoption (1655)? Just wondering...

Yes, indeed! In the chapter on "Pastorly Advice," as to "Growing in the consciousness of adoption," for one reference at least...

Margaret

Yes, indeed! In the chapter on "Pastorly Advice," as to "Growing in the consciousness of adoption," for one reference at least...

Margaret

Thanks for that, Margaret. Now that I have my copy in hand, I see that Beeke listed a number of Puritan treatises specifically on adoption, including Ford's (pp. 11-12), none of which have been reprinted. If publishers are reading this, that list would be a nice place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back