Keeping A Good Conscience - Archibald Alexander (1772 - 1851)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
A concise reminder, I pray, to help you focus on gospel truths this Lord’s Day:

When I counsel you, my young friends, to keep a good conscience, I mean that you should...endeavor to obtain this inestimable blessing by an application to “the blood of sprinkling” (Heb 12:24). Until the soul is justified16 and sin pardoned, there can be no true peace of conscience. While the Law remains unsatisfied for us and denounces vengeance against us for our sins, what in the universe can give us peace? But when by faith, the soul apprehends the atonement17 and sees that it is commensurate18 to all the demands of the Law and that in the cross, justice is not only satisfied but also gloriously illustrated, it is at once relieved from the agony of guilt. [Then] “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding” pervades the soul (Phi 4:7). The great secret of genuine peace is, therefore, living faith in the blood of Christ...

And later in the same work, which is a good message for us all:

Think not, dear young people, that true religion will detract from your happiness. It is a reproach cast upon your Maker to
indulge such a thought. It cannot be. A God of goodness never required anything of His creatures that did not tend to their true felicity. Piety may indeed lead you to exchange the pleasures of the theater and ballroom for the purer joys of the Church and prayer meeting. It may turn your attention from books of mere idle fancy and fiction to the Word of God, which to a regenerated soul is found to be sweeter than honey and more excellent than the choicest gold; but this will add to your happiness rather than diminish it.

Source: https://chapellibrary.org:8443/api/books/download?code=tfypfg&format=pdf

Pure gold.
For your info and anyone else, who may have enjoyed some of my recent devotional quotes, I HIGHLY recomend this book:

I know others, as I do, have concerns with some aspects of NCFIC; however this is a very devotional book and consist almost entirely of excerpts from dead & living faithful confessional men & 1 women (a letter Elizabeth Joscelin [1595-1622] wrote to her unborn child, she actually died when she gave birth, making the letter all the more meaningful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back