Keeping up with the Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know the languages you can bypass commentaries and other secondary sources because you possess the ability to work in the text without training wheels—bypass the middle man.

This would be a disastrous way to approach the reading of the Scriptures in the original languages. It assumes one's own ability is self-sufficient and cannot be strengthened by the insights which others have to offer, and it locks the reader into his own world of interpretation. This sounds to me like it is an "intellectual" spin on the "me and my Bible" error.

I agree with Rev. Winzer. We should be "checking in" with those that have come before us who were indwelt by the same Spirit that indwells us all. To not do so seems to be chronological snobbery, as if we somehow know so much better than those who preceded us. I have often found that those that avoid "man made works" (sigh) often end tangled up in many doctrinal errors.

I am intrigued by the comments about Erasmian pronunciation and the grammar book substitutes he suggests.

However, ignoring commentaries would be as foolish and dangerous as skipping Bible study in favor of becoming a commentary preacher! Learning to appropriately use and benefit from commentaries is one of the critical skills developed in a sound theological education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back