KJB movie marking the 400 yr anniversary of the KJV of the bible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That link says it will be this month in the States. Who is making it, does anyone know?
Great to see Guy Fawkes nailed for the terrorist he was,....but still hard to believe there is a modern film producer anywhere that can negociate a way through that fraught period of history without losing the plot!

I pre-ordered it from Gateway Vision Video ($15.99). Tracking information suggests that it will beat me back to CA! Yea! It looks like a documentary, full of acted out parts, and narrated by John Rhys-Davies (famous as Gimli in the Lord of the Rings). And, in "my day" Rhys-Davies was famous for playing the part of Sallah in Raiders of the Lost Ark . . .

Sallah: Indy, why does the floor move?
Indiana: Give me your torch.
[Indy takes the torch and drops it in]
Indiana: Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
Sallah: Asps... very dangerous. You go first.

That link says it will be this month in the States. Who is making it, does anyone know?
Great to see Guy Fawkes nailed for the terrorist he was,....but still hard to believe there is a modern film producer anywhere that can negociate a way through that fraught period of history without losing the plot!

I never got why the Anonymous people wear the Guy Fawkes mask....or if they even know whom Guy Fawkes is, maybe they just get all there ideas from V for Vendetta....

Sallah: Indy, why does the floor move?
Indiana: Give me your torch.
[Indy takes the torch and drops it in]
Indiana: Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
Sallah: Asps... very dangerous. You go first.
'
One of my favourite movie lines. 'Asps. . .very dangerous. You go first.', is my signature line at the Fedora Lounge.

My husband and I just watched the movie, which came in the mail on Friday. If you can fast-forward through the first 5 minutes of Lee Strobel DVD ads, it's very good. Being pretty much of a dunce, I don't know how to pick it apart for accuracy in some respects. It was very nice to see my old acquaintance Carl Trueman in a commenter's role in the video! The narrative is riveting and very moving (some minor violations of the Second Commandment, though). John Rhys-Davies is excellent as the narrator.

Only problem now is, I'd like to share it with someone but can't think who else would be interested in this video except for our son. Sure wish we could treat some people to a video party at our house and watch it again... I just truly don't know anyone who wouldn't (especially given the last ten or so minutes of it) be *offended* by it. :(

Margaret

I also watched it on Friday. It was an extraordinarily good piece. Comparing the high production values of KJB with the briefer and less impressive The Making of the King James Bible, KJB is a fantastic and visually satisfying documentary. However, after reading the MacGrath and Ryken books (and well into the Adam Nicolson book now) on the King James translation, it was interesting to see the more positive portrait of King James in KJB. The Making of the King James Bible nuances and guards against making James I into a heroic figure. The KJB, especially in the hands of skilled actor John Rhys-Davies, waxes positively hagiographic at times. Still, his narration is spectacular and quite moving.

For this 400th Anniversary year, I recommend the following: Buy both; watch both; watch both again.

[Trivia note: The Making of the King James Bible relies upon a lot of interviews with Adam Nicolson, author of the very good God's Secretaries. KJB features, among others, Carl Trueman.]

If you want to put together a GREAT gift for a pastor or Christian leader, here is the ticket for 2011:

3 books: God's Secretaries (Nicolson), In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible (MacGrath), The Legacy of the King James Bible (Ryken).

Plus . . .

2 DVDs: KJB and The Making of the King James Bible.

Plus . . .

King James Bible: 400th Anniversary Edition (Gordon Campbell). It is sumptuous, VERY large, Oxford volume in a slip cover (looks kindof like the OED).
The text of the 1611 edition differs from modern editions of the King James Version in thousands of details, and this edition is the most authentic version of the original text that has ever been published. It follows the 1611 text page-for-page and line-for-line, reproducing all misprints rather than correcting them. The volume also reprints the large body of preliminary matter, which includes genealogies, maps, and lists of readings, as well as the translator's preface to the reader. The text features an easy-to-read modern font instead of the black-letter type of the original, with the exception of the original decorative letters and early page ornaments, which have been reproduced. The volume concludes with an essay by Renaissance Studies expert, Gordon Campbell, on the first edition of the King James Bible.

Somebody had it recently for $40 (= 1/2 off).

Plus . . .

R.L. Allan Atlantic Blue Longprimer KJV. The bestest Bible I have ever owned!!!

Give someone that set of books, Bibles, and DVDs and you will make that person VERY satisfied with your gift!

Since tomorrow is the 400th anniversary of the KJV, today I'm doing a Sunday School lesson on the English Bible leading up to and focusing on the KJV. In addition to a PowerPoint, we will be displaying the Oxford facsimile of the 1611 KJV, an actual leaf (c 400 yrs) of the Geneva Bible, a leaf of the KJV (c. 350-375 yr old), a couple of the better KJV anniversary histories, and the two new DVD documentaries (KJB: the Book that Changed the World and KJV: the Making of the KJV Bible. It ought to be fun to teach.

Beyond the good acting and interesting places of interest. I think this movie glorifies James more than it celebrates the KJV.

The 40 minutes of extras is great!

A friend of mine says that James should be considered one of the great reformers of the church and that we cannot deny that fruit that came from his kingship.
I do not find that opinion to be very helpful, as I am not and nor will I ever be in favor of the Papistry.

Beyond the good acting and interesting places of interest. I think this movie glorifies James more than it celebrates the KJV.

The 40 minutes of extras is great!

A friend of mine says that James should be considered one of the great reformers of the church and that we cannot deny that fruit that came from his kingship.
I do not find that opinion to be very helpful, as I am not and nor will I ever be in favor of the Papistry.

I was going to warn that the movie doesn't go too deep into the history of the translation as much as it does the context (geopolitical). However, for a history-buff, I still enjoyed it.

You mean to say that Carl Trueman is in a movie? Doesn't that make him a Christian celebrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back