KJV Psalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeutter

Puritan Board Senior
I recently went to hear Dr. D. A. Waite of the Dean Burgon Society speak at Volinia Baptist Church in Cass County Michigan. I asked him his opinion of singing/chanting the Coverdale Psalter. He did not answer the question about Psalter singing directly but pointed out the superiority of the Authorized Version translation of the Book of Psalms to Myles Coverdales. Later in discussion with Dr. Waite he pointed out the Coverdale translation of Psalter 90:2 was faulty in its translation "world without end" and how the Authorized version had got it right in translating the text "from everlasting unto everlasting". He agreed with me that 'from ages unto ages"; would also be a good translation.
All of this got me thinking. Has anyone taken the KJV text of the book of the Psalms and attempted to rework them; making as few changes as possible into a Psalter that can be chanted or sung?

I've found various projects that attempt to do this, but none are complete. This is one of the more complete ones: Pilgrim Ministries

Also, there are a few very close or exactly from the AVin the BPS. For example, there is a version of Psalm 100 with an irregular metre that is within a word or two of the Authorized Version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back