KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrese

Puritan Board Sophomore
Does anyone know of any online resources to help understand and interpret difficult passages in the KJV? I know there's a few Bibles available at TBS that help you understand 'outdated' words, but I wanted to know if anything like that was available for free online. Thanks

Here's a source that provides Webster's 1828 definitions for words in the KJV.
http://av1611.com/kjbp/KJV-dictionary/KJV-dictionary-index.html

Does anyone know of any online resources to help understand and interpret difficult passages in the KJV? I know there's a few Bibles available at TBS that help you understand 'outdated' words, but I wanted to know if anything like that was available for free online. Thanks

Matthew Poole's Annotations is of great assistance.

Matthew Poole's Annotations is of great assistance.

Thank you Reverend Winzer. I wasn't aware of his Annotations, I found this with our friend google ....... https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/mpc.html

This might be beyond the scope of your question, but I find the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, KJV, does a good job of clarifying obscure words and phrasing in its notes.

This might be beyond the scope of your question, but I find the Reformation Heritage Study Bible, KJV, does a good job of clarifying obscure words and phrasing in its notes.

Not beyond the scope of my question at all. I know of several Bibles that define dated words in the KJV but unfortunately I have a Cambridge KJV that was on sale not to long ago. If I come up with some extra money in the near future I will probably get a TBS Westminster Reference KJV. Thanks for your response!

If you want to understand the KJV better (which is a noble goal since the KJV is the best English translation of the Bible) then you should get the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible. It has study notes that explain the difficult words and help you to understand the Bible better. At the end of each chapter, there are thoughs for family/personal devotions at the end of each chapter. It also contains information on Church history, how to live as a Christian and the main Reformed confessions of faith.

Although it is perhaps not that easy to use, the Westminster Reference apparatus is available online for free here. (You can click "skip" to check it out without creating an account.)

TBS also has an expanded word list that is more extensive than what they generally publish in their Bibles. You can download it here.

Although it is perhaps not that easy to use, the Westminster Reference apparatus is available online for free here. (You can click "skip" to check it out without creating an account.)

TBS also has an expanded word list that is more extensive than what they generally publish in their Bibles. You can download it here[/URL

I agree also about the Reformation Heritage KJV study bible. I think it's an excellent Resourse. It does a good job explaining difficult passages and words.

TBS also has an expanded word list that is more extensive than what they generally publish in their Bibles. You can download it here.

Very helpful! Thank you for sharing these links!

I'll also add my $0.02 -- I absolutely love my RHB KJV study Bible. It's the one that stays open on the desk-stand in my Study. It does a great job of defining the obscure words one runs into with the KJV, while providing insightful, experiential notes and articles along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back