Klineans: A valid Grammatico-Historical approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they've always shipped via US Postal Service. We get mail delivered out here at the regular rates as they stick them on military flights if it's first class or priority mail or higher. It takes a few more days obviously but it's not too bad. Parcel post, on the other hand, takes over a month.

I'm not sure if there are any U.S. military bases in Australia if you had friends there that could forward a book. I imagine if you really pleaded with the bookstore guy at WSC and worked with him to get the additional $$ then he might be willing to ship to you.

I remember Matthew Winzer has the same problem. I really liked visiting Australia but that big ocean makes a difference when many of the books you want aren't published on your continent. Perhaps when the Kindle and other ebook devices become more prevalent you'll be able to get this stuff over eBook and actually like reading it that way. For all my technological prowess, I still prefer real books when I need to learn.

Any thoughts on post 15 above? Would love to hear insight on this since I am just now beginning to read Kline but haven't seen his interaction with secular/liberal scholars yet.

I can't imagine anyone disputing the notion that

[1] Scripture can only be understood, when we place it properly in its historical context.​

So if I give someone a Bible, I can't say, "read that, it'll equip you for every good work". Rather I have to say, "you can only understand that book when I've taught you about ANE treaties, and 1st century Jewish / Graeco-Roman culture"? I would've thought the canon itself provides enough of a context to allow Scripture to do its job.

As I said above that doesn't mean we don't explore background cultures and the like, but surely it will only help with nuancing. This is simply the ramification of the classic doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture.

I've scanned it to PDF and am waiting for my next-door neighbor to post it to his WSCAL site.

rsc

4. One other instance comes to mind. Steve Baugh has done a great deal of work on Asia Minor, in order to understand Paul's background. He has shown that when Paul says "Soter panton anthropon" (Savior of all men) he is actually making a play on an motto etched into the base of statue in Ephesus: To Julius Caesar, Benefactor of All Men."

Scott, do you have the reference? Is this a paper I can find at WSC's site?

Thanks.

Here it is:

Baugh, Steven M., '"Savior of all people" : 1 Tim 4:10 in context.' , Westminster Theological Journal, 54/2 (Fall 1992):331-340.

Blessings.

Joel,

As I understand him, Kline was not arguing that Moses borrowed "themes," if by that one means that Moses derived the substance of his theology or doctrine from the surrounding culture. That was my point about the Logos Christology. That's what, as I understand it, Moses DID NOT do.

What he did was to borrow forms of expression, rhetorical devices, and adapt existing treaty forms. If we're right that God the Spirit inspired the writing of Scripture, then we should say that the Spirit moved Moses to employ known cultural forms to express the relations between God and man in the garden (a Suzerain-vassal treaty, a covenant of works) and after the fall (Royal Grant covenant, or a covenant of grace).

In his earlier work he tended to interact with the academic OT guild more often than he did in his later work, where he tended to focus on OT hermeneutics/theology.

MeredithKlineFestschrift_op_207x331.jpg
You can read much of his material online.

rsc

Excellent and helpful stuff in this thread. Thanks to all.

Did Kline ever interact (in writing or otherwise) with scholars who would argue that borrowing themes from pagan culture demonstrates that the biblical writers were simply "re-inventing". I know the largely defunct history of religions school argued this in NT scholarship circles, particularly with respect to Logos Christology, but I'm wondering if the same ever occurred in OT circles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back