Knowledge Is So Important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
In Hosea 4:6, God said that His people are destroyed because of a lack of knowledge. Lately I’ve been thinking about how important knowledge is, and how it determines so much of who we are, what we become, and our quality of life. It is knowledge that so often feeds the soul. For example, if I am feeling anxious about a certain situation, I can use the knowledge I have of how many blessings I have, what the Bible teaches about anxiety, and how my situation really isn’t that bad, and this will help produce in me thanksgiving and peace. Or another example, if I am caught up thinking about the temporary sufferings and pains of this world, and become discouraged, God will use the knowledge He has given to me to think about Heaven, and this will cause me to joyfully lift up my eyes to eternal things. Largely in part, through knowledge, we can achieve many things, such as curing a disease, going into outer space, cooking an amazing recipe, etc. Knowledge serves as a basis to better our lives both physically and spiritually. Of course, this knowledge must be married with faith, hope, and love, but let us always understand that knowledge is such an important part of living victoriously. May we never undermine it, and may we always love to learn.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
...And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

I know knowledge is important, but let me give another perspective. This does not contradict you, but is merely a supplement. The Reformed are some of the most knowledgeable people on earth about the bible. And we have more access to bibles and commentaries now than ever before. And yet many are not acting upon their knowledge; their knowledge does them nothing, and, in some cases, puffs them up.

I would like to suggest that charity is the most important goal for us. Not to discount the brain, but to activate the heart.

Concerning Hosea 4 specifically, God has a complaint for the priests.

Yet let no one contend,
and let none accuse,
for with you is my contention, O priest.
5 You shall stumble by day;
the prophet also shall stumble with you by night;
and I will destroy your mother.
6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge;
because you have rejected knowledge,

I reject you from being a priest to me.
And since you have forgotten the law of your God,
I also will forget your children.

We see their lack of knowledge was due to rejection of knowledge (through disobedience). The priests are unfaithful and so the nation suffers. Later through our Great High Priest we are all given the Holy Spirit and each believer becomes a priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back