Knowledge of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm looking for book recommendations for that cover the knowledge of God. Right now I have in my online cart "Knowing God" by Packer and "the Existence of God" by Charnock.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

j

Are you looking for a more epistemological, philosophical type of treatment, or a more pastoral, experiential type of treatment?

Rev. Keister, I'll take any suggestions.

I guess I'm interested in books that cover who the God of revelation is and how that affects us as believers in contrast with the god that man often invents, especially the modern god we find in society today. Does that make sense?

It sounds like you are more interested in the Doctrine of God, then. Gerald Bray has written a good book entitled _The Doctrine of God_. I also highly recommend Robert Letham's book _The Holy Trinity_. The Trinity is at the center of your question. Reading Letham in conjunction with Richard Muller's Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics (volume 3 is on the doctrine of God and volume 4 is on the Trinity) will give you a great start on this.

I own two of the books mentioned here "Knowing God" and "Doctrine of the Knowledge of God".

I must say that even though I've been a christian for 4,5 years, "Knowing God" by Packer was a real eye-opener for me. Full of insight and sound, practical teaching. So many of my misconceptions were corrected. A real gem. Packer in his book draws a disctinction between knowledge that puffs up and wisdom on the other hand, which we are supposed to grow in.

OTOH, I haven't read all of Frame's book. The reason for this is that it is somewhat too technical for me, at least at this stage. I might open it again in a few years and then it will "click".

I'm looking for book recommendations for that cover the knowledge of God. Right now I have in my online cart "Knowing God" by Packer and "the Existence of God" by Charnock.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

j

The existence and attributes of God by Charnock is the one I would recommend. Charnock is famous for being a little "dry" but I found it to be one of the most amazing books I have read.

Good pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back