Kubla Khan Or, A Vision in a Dream. A Fragment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weinhold

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok folks, time for another superb poem, this time by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Let's read it together and discuss our reactions. I will include Coleridge's own note published along with the poem.

Coleridge's Note:

The following fragment is here published at the request of a poet of great and deserved celebrity [Lord Byron], and, as far as the Author's own opinions are concerned, rather as a psychological curiosity, than on the ground of any supposed poetic merits.
In the summer of the year 1797, the Author, then in ill health, had retired to a lonely farm-house between Porlock and Linton, on the Exmoor confines of Somerset and Devonshire. In consequence of a slight indisposition, an anodyne had been prescribed, from the effects of which he fell asleep in his chair at the moment that he was reading the following sentence, or words of the same substance, in Purchas's Pilgrimage: ``Here the Khan Kubla commanded a palace to be built, and a stately garden thereunto. And thus ten miles of fertile ground were inclosed with a wall.'' The Author continued for about three hours in a profound sleep, at least of the external senses, during which time he has the most vivid confidence, that he could not have composed less than from two to three hundred lines; if that indeed can be called composition in which all the images rose up before him as things, with a parallel production of the correspondent expressions, without any sensation or consciousness of effort. On awakening he appeared to himself to have a distinct recollection of the whole, and taking his pen, ink, and paper, instantly and eagerly wrote down the lines that are here preserved. At this moment he was unfortunately called out by a person on business from Porlock, and detained by him above an hour, and on his return to his room, found, to his no small surprise and mortification, that though he still retained some vague and dim recollection of the general purport of the vision, yet, with the exception of some eight or ten scattered lines and images, all the rest had passed away like the images on the surface of a stream into which a stone has been cast, but, alas! without the after restoration of the latter!

"Kubla Khan"

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round :
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree ;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.
But oh ! that deep romantic chasm which slanted
Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover !
A savage place ! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover !
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced :
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher's flail :
And 'mid these dancing rocks at once and ever
It flung up momently the sacred river.
Five miles meandering with a mazy motion
Through wood and dale the sacred river ran,
Then reached the caverns measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean :
And 'mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voices prophesying war !

The shadow of the dome of pleasure
Floated midway on the waves ;
Where was heard the mingled measure
From the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device,
A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice !

A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw :
It was an Abyssinian maid,
And on her dulcimer she played,
Singing of Mount Abora.
Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me,
That with music loud and long,
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome ! those caves of ice !
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware ! Beware !
His flashing eyes, his floating hair !
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Brilliant poem. And I think that most writers and poets can empathize with Coleridge's frustration with the businessman who came to call at a most inoppurtune time -- like the telemarketers of our day!

As with "Dover Beach" by Matthew Arnold, Coleridge's Kubla Khan anticipates an euphoric grandness that cannot be attained. Coleridge was apparently inspired by a line from Purchas his Pilgrimage during an opium-induced vision. Kublai Khan was the founder of the Mongol Dynasty in China in the 13th century (Norton Anthology of English Lit., 1596).

Coleridge wrote his poem in iambic tetrameter. His rhyme scheme seems loosely based upon couplets, but with a high degree of alteration. These are organized into four distinct stanzas, which I neglected to indicate in my post. I'll clarify now:

Stanza 1 begins on line 1: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan . . ."

Stanza 2 begins on line 12: "But oh! that deep romantic chasm . . ."

Stanza 3 begins on line 31: "The shadow of the dome . . ."

Stanza 4 begins on line 37: "A damsel with a dulcimer . . ."

Stanza 1 exemplifies the technique of alliteration: "Kubla Khan"; "dome decree"; "river ran"; measureless to man"; "sunless sea"; and "sunny spots." These tiny details of the poem's euphony acclimate the reader to this new world of Xanadu. The coherence of sounds imitates the coherence of nature, and assures us that although Xanadu is foreign, the building of the "pleasure-dome" is somehow important for us. The content of the stanza mirrors its technique, as Kubla Khan makes his decree, and we imagine various artisans constructing an enormous structure, something like a national monument or a royal palace. Throughout this first stanza, we sense that, like the pleasure-dome, the poem itself is building, picking up steam with every line. As readers, we respond to that momentum, anticipating the lines as each propels us toward the next.

The second stanza presents a complication to the building of Kubla's pleasure-dome, which jars us from the momentum of the first. Coleridge alerts us to this hiatus with a sequence of exclamations. "But oh!" is perhaps the most jarring. We learn that a chasm, a dreadful holy place, has flung up rocks and changed the path of Alph, the sacred river. All this geological hullabaloo is understood as a sign of impending war. Also notice the erotic undertones in this stanza, which reminds us that the earth's seismic activity is an act of procreation. Thus far, Coleridge masterfully provides us with the beginning of a great poem, but as you know from reading his note, he was interrupted and could not finish the 300 or so lines he wrote in his vision.

While the first and second stanzas indicate that Coleridge is building toward something great, I read the third stanza as a moment when Coleridge's recollection of the vision had faded, but during which he refused to give it up. Though the stanza remains pleasing to the ear, it lacks the coherence of the first two stanzas, it is significantly shorter, and it ends abruptly. Yet the lines are important, for in them we discover the process of Coleridge's struggling to remember, and we are reminded of the transience of our own finite memories and thoughts.

The last stanza is perhaps the most memorable of the entire poem, which is perhaps ironic because it is a lament. In it we sense the longing and regret that Coleridge must have felt when he tried to recollect his original vision. We are also made aware of the need to not only invoke the muse, but to surround her with protection from foreign invasions. The last lines, then, refer to the poet, whose work paradoxically requires physical isolation to make spiritual kinship possible. "Kubla Khan" thus serves as an excellent poem for introducing the concept of poetic inspiration.

Very nicely said. You made it easy to understand and to follow what the written stanzas do grammatically while explaining the information and thoughts they hold. Thank you for this explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back