Last call for the works of Robert Rollock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
I wanted to give everyone a heads up. We are very low on stock of this most eminent Scottish divines' works. Once they are gone, they most likely won't come back into print. I promise that you don't want to miss these. Plus, you get free shipping on this set!

"The long-overdue republication of Robert Rollock's "Select Works" introduces us to one of the greatest Reformed thinkers of the sixteenth century. Robert Rollock (c.1555-1598), first principal of Edinburgh University, able preacher and philosopher, and a renowned biblical commentator in his own day, was a seminal Reformed theologian particularly as an early exponent of covenant theology in Scotland.

His treatises on God's effectual calling and the passion, resurrection, and ascension of Christ are themselves worth the purchase of this two-volume "Select Works." These volumes represent the cream of sixteenth-century Reformed theology, and should be treasured by all who love biblical truth. May they whet the appetite for more of this prolific Scotsman, who wrote five volumes of sermons and nine commentaries."

http://bit.ly/rrollock

Table of Contents:
http://bit.ly/rrtoc

Anyone that is unfamiliar with Rollock or on the fence, I would encourage you to listen to this:
Robert Rollock & the Covenant of Works:
https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=461518838

Last edited:
As any hardcover should be! Sadly many have gone cheap on this; even Oxford glue bound their edition of the Minutes of the Westminster Assembly by Van Dixhoorn. The argument is that it is good enough or as good.
As with all of our hardcovers, the binding is Smyth Sewn and made to last.

The bookstore alerted me about your order. It looks to be marked as shipped. On the plus side, at least you get free shipping on the set!

Oh it's not the cost (which is very reasonable from y'all as always!) as much as the fact that we purchased a home last November that is utterly lacking in bookshelves and we haven't gotten around to having any put in yet. So all of my books are in boxes or strewn about the house on tables, and yet that hasn't kept me from adding to the collection. :D

Oh it's not the cost (which is very reasonable from y'all as always!) as much as the fact that we purchased a home last November that is utterly lacking in bookshelves and we haven't gotten around to having any put in yet. So all of my books are in boxes or strewn about the house on tables, and yet that hasn't kept me from adding to the collection. :D
I feel your struggles. I am in an almost similar situation. We own a home in CO that we are renting out. We have a commitment from a buyer once the lease is up. Until then, Our living situation is a 1 bedroom in Grand Rapids. My books have swallowed up this tiny apartment. My wife's patience could have only come from the Lord.

Why not? Why send him back into obscurity? Is it the cost?
It is people on the Puritan Board that can help with that obscurity. If the demand was there, we would keep him in rotation. Rollock is a theologian that is more than worthy of the attention of today's pastors, scholars, and laymen. I would love to see scholars interact with his Covenant Theology. Rollock was said to have brought Lectio Continua to Scotland.

Cost is always a factor as we have a lot of landmark projects in the works. I didn't say it would be the last thing we would be publishing by him. ;)

Last edited:
Any idea why Rollock isn't more popular?

I'd guess "Moderns studied the original languages really well and so redefined the term "covenant" because they believed the old definition (used during the Reformation/Rollock) was somewhat wrong." So this would change CT and make Rollock more historical than helpful. :2cents:

I'd guess "Moderns studied the original languages really well and so redefined the term "covenant" because they believed the old definition (used during the Reformation/Rollock) was somewhat wrong." So this would change CT and make Rollock more historical than helpful. :2cents:

:stirpot:

I mean this with all due respect but that is looking at Rollock's corpus with tunnel vision. Rollock was highly regarded as a commentator and expository preacher. He was a man of incredible intellect and piety.

I mean this with all due respect but that is looking at Rollock's corpus with tunnel vision. Rollock was highly regarded as a commentator and expository preacher. He was a man of incredible intellect and piety.

Sure he was and I'm sure there is a lot more we all could learn from him. I went for the ebook version and have personally read his sections on the Covenants a few times and think his work is important. I was simply attempting to answer that above question as to why he wouldn't be more popular today.

Aside from some blindness to history and valuable past theologians, this is what came to mind. At least at WSCal, the only one I ever heard mentioned him was Dr. Scott Clark and this was because of his views on Covenant Theology. Since today, views like O. Palmer Robertson's covenant theology are more popular, I would suppose Rollock's would not be. Since Covenant Theology in general took a turn in the 20th century toward a different emphasis/definition of "covenant," I can see why others might not find Rollock's views more valuable. Hope that makes sense.

By all means, do go buy the book or ebook people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back