Latin abbreviation "m. lib."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
What does the m. stand for in the reference in the image capture below? Lib. is libre, i.e. book. I don't recall seeing an m. like this. On the page referenced in Baxter's Aphorisms there is no designation "m" far as I can see as far as a section or book.
upload_2019-7-13_10-52-30.png

Could it be mei libri (My book)? As if to say, this is the page number in my copy but it may vary depending on the edition?

I have given the question to my good friend, who is a Latin teacher (and has a master's degree in Latin). I will see what she says and relate it back to you.

Chris, I got an answer back from my friend. She didn't know herself, but she put it to her forum of Latin teachers, and one of them responded. It means "in the margin of the book." So it refers to a marginal note of some sort. "M" stands for "marginalia."

Interesting; I lean toward the mia my library (ie my copy) at this point since there are no marginal notes in Baxter's Aphorisms, and no need for it to stand for "appendix" as Durham explicitly mentions that. Or it is a typo.:think:
Chris, I got an answer back from my friend. She didn't know herself, but she put it to her forum of Latin teachers, and one of them responded. It means "in the margin of the book." So it refers to a marginal note of some sort. "M" stands for "marginalia."

My guess is that you will have to check all the versions of Aphorisms on that page to see what Durham is referring to. Is there a source somewhere that lists Durham's personal library, so that you might be able to check which edition he had?

There are best I can tell only two editions (the first of 1649 and a 1655 edition) published by the time Durham would have been revising the text for publication (this occurs in a digression added in the revision work, not in the original lectures that date to 1653-early 1655). My best guess now is this is a mistake or wrong way to reference again that it is a second part of the book, an appendix answering objection.

I should add that content wise the way Durham refers to this does not lead one to expect a marginal note but the contents on that actual page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back