Latin Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
What are your favorite Latin sayings (along with the English translations)? :scholar:
If you have a Palm PDA you NEED this free dictionary - http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=50548
Hope that link works. Last time I tried SemperFi had to fix it.
You do need BDicty. If it is not included in the above download, you can get it here - http://www.beiks.com/palm/Bdicty.htm look for the line that says "download public version"

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum"
"Anything said in Latin sounds profound"

Greg

What are your favorite Latin sayings (along with the English translations)? :scholar:
Here's one of my favorite!

Latin is a Language,
At least it used to be,
First it killed the Romans,
Now it's killing me!

DTK

Here's one I laid on Fred some time ago:

"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"
"If caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar!"

I had in mind some sayings that were a bit more, how should I put this, profound...:bigsmile: Now then, what is Latin for "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

Asterix the Gaul:

vanitas_eng.jpg

Sona si Latine loqueris. (Honk if you speak Latin.)

My apologies to Andrew!

Here are a few of my favorite Latin sayings, most of which were taken directly from Muller's Dictionary of Latin and Greek Theological Terms.

Scriptura sacra locuta, res decisa est (Sacred Scripture has spoken, the issue is decided).

Scriptura ex scripturim explicandum esse (Scripture is to be explained by Scripture).

All our preaching and teaching must be 'doctrina e Scriptura Sacra hausta' (doctrine drawn from Holy Scripture).

We proclaim Evangelium est Deus absolvens et justificans (The gospel is God absolving and justifying).

Fides justificat non propter se, ut est in homine qualitas, sed propter Christum, quem apprehendit (Faith justifies not because of itself, insofar as it is a quality in man, but on account of Christ, of whom faith apprehends).

Sinners are justificatus sola fide sine operibus (justified by faith alone without works).

Sola Scriptura est norma normans non normata (Scripture alone is the norm that norms [itself] not normed), and is therefore the only irreformable norm.

Vox Scriptura Vox Dei (The Voice of Scripture is the Voice of God).

DTK

A few from BDicty
Amat victoria curam - Victory favors those who take pains

Amor vincit omnia - love conquers all

credite amori vera dicenti - Believe love speaking the truth (Jerome)

Credo ut intelligam - I believe in order to understand (Augustine)
[wouldn't it be great in the course of a Bibile study to just say "It's like Augstine said..., and then look around suprised that they don't know what you just said.][And they say 'elitist' like it's a bad thing]

Dominus tecum - May the Lord be with you (singular)
Dominus vobiscum - May the Lord be with you (plural)

Dum excusare credis, accusas - When you believe you are excusing yourself, you are accusing yourself (Jerome) [Teach this one to the kids]

Hope you enjoyed them

No apologies needed, DTK! These are good sayings.

Here are a few of mine:

Post Tenebras Lux (After the Darkness, Light.)

Scrutamini scripturas (Let us search the scriptures)

Cor meum tibi offero, Domine, prompte et sincere (My heart I offer to you, O Lord, promptly and sincerely)

Neque enim quaero intelligere ut credam, sed credo ut intelligam. Nam et hoc credo, quia, nisi credidero, non intelligam (Nor do I seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand. For this too I believe, that unless I first believe, I shall not understand)

Homo sum humani a mi nihil alienum puto (I am a human being; nothing human is strange to me)

Acta non verba (Actions, not words.)

Alenda lux ubi orta libertas (Let learning be cherished where liberty has arisen)

Christus Rex (Christ the King)

Lex Rex (Law is King)

Coram Deo (In the presence of God)

Simul justus et peccator (Righteous and at the same time a sinner)

Deo vindice (With God as protector)

Deo gratias (Thanks be to God)

Pro Christo et Libertate (For Christ and for Liberty)

Dominus Illuminatio Mea (The Lord is my light)

Deo volente (God willing)

Dum spiro spero (While I breathe, I hope)

Dum vita est, spes est (While there is life there is hope)

Dum vivimus servimus (While we live we serve)

Errare humanum est perseverare diabolicum (To err is human; to persist is of the Devil)

Esse quam videri (To be rather than to seem)

Gloria in Excelsis Deo (Glory be God in the highest)

In luce Tua videmus lucem (In Thy light we see light)

Non Nobis Domine Non Nobis Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam (Not To Us O Lord Not To Us But To Your Name Give Glory)

Semper reformanda (Always reforming)

Ecclesia reformata semper reformanda est secundu Verbum Dei (The reformed Church is always being reformed according to the Word of God)

Sic semper tyrannis (Thus always to tyrants)

Soli Deo gloria (Glory to God alone)

Sola fide (By faith alone)

Sola gratia (By grace alone)

Sola scriptura (By scripture alone)

Solus Christus (Christ alone)

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum (The Word of the Lord endures forever)

Virtute non armis fido (I trust in virtue, not arms)

Deus nobiscum, quis contra? (God is with us, who can be against us?)

[Edited on 6-6-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

'Post tennebras Lux" After Darkness light. I am not sure if I got the spelling right, but that is my fav. I read that, that was posted over the door to the Church in Geneva.

Always wear underwear.

. . .

Wait . . that's English.

Okay, this isn't Latin, but it helps me:

Large Cows Drop Manure = LCDM = 50, 100, 500, 1000.

Learned that one from my Latin teacher in high school and never forgot it!

A judicial maxim: De minimis non curat lex.
(The law is not concerned with trifles).

Which always struck me as odd given our current litigation practice.

Habeas felicitatem in die natus es

Happy Birthday ! I just wrote this on the standard Birthday Card that was passed around the office last week. She thought I said: The court hopes you die a natural death !

It's not a profound saying but it cracks me up every time I read it to my kids, just the 'Latin' of it all:

Clamavit Lupus, "Ergo, huffabo et puffabo et tuam domum inflabo"

The Wolf yelled/proclaimed, "Therefore, I will huff and I will puff and blow your house down." (paraphrase of course)

The Latin cracks me up, its so Classic and poetic in this case.

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit - Perhaps someday we will look back upon these things with joy

IF toddpedlar Had another one of his "proxy
cake.gif
's"
to give out, this just might win (Lucror) !

Clamavit Lupus, "Ergo, huffabo et puffabo et tuam domum inflabo"

The Wolf yelled/proclaimed, "Therefore, I will huff and I will puff and blow your house down." (paraphrase of course)

A judicial maxim: De minimis non curat lex.
(The law is not concerned with trifles).

Which always struck me as odd given our current litigation practice.

I know a rather rude rhyme containing that line, but I don't think I will repeat it here.

Sometimes I regret never learning Latin or Greek or anything much classical. Which is odd, as I am not sure the Romans or their descendents understood the world any better than any other group of people throughout history. But it would be interesting to be able to understand those who give quotes in Latin.

Just a few......

These are a few of my favorite I have come across:

Annuit coeptis - God has favored us
Dominus illuminatio mea - The Lord is my light
Deus vult! - God wills it! (Slogan of the Crusades)
De iure - By law. According to law

The late jazz bassist, composer, arranger, and bandleader Charles Mingus (1922-1979) put out an album titled Mingus -a -um - a title I never understood until I saw a Latin grammar many years later.

OK, all you Latin scholars: translate this:

Conjugi Dilectissimae
Laborum Studiorum Gaudiorum
Consorti

It's on the dedication page of Oliver Cromwell by John Buchan (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1934) and does not come with a translation.

Buchan (1875-1940), by the way, wrote, among very many other things, the novel The Thirty Nine Steps (1915), which was made into a film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back