Law and Gospel in Vermigli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
The first quote below I encountered in some of my "Sabbath reading" this afternoon. This is taken from Vermigli's lectures on Judges.

I would rather thinke as the learned sorte doe also iudge, that whatsoever thinges are conteyned in the holy Scriptures should be referred unto two principall heades, the lawe, I meane, and the gospell. For every where are declared unto us either the precepts of god upright living, or when we are reproved to have strayed from the them by reason of weaknes or els of malice, the gospel is layd forth before us, wherein by Christ that thing wherein we haue offended is pardoned, and the strength and power of the holy ghost primused us, to reforme us againe to the image of god, which we had loste.

The second quote (taken from his commentary on Romans) is perhaps less clear as to whether he speaks of principles or economies, but it seems more proper to see a bit of blurring of the two in the following statements. The first statement is pure gold.

The law indeed commandeth, but the gospel ministereth strengths to accomplish those things whiche are commaunded. The law accused; the gospel absolveth: the law maketh a sound outwardly: the gospell is graven in the bowells. The law worketh anger: the gospell maketh God pacifyed, and reconciled unto us. The lawe by making afeard, dejecteth the mind: the gospell by comforting, erecteth it. The law is the ministry of death: the gospel, of life: the law is a schoolemaster: the gospel, is a perfect instruction. The whole lawe consisteth in this, that we should woork: the gospel herein chiefly consisteth, that we should believe. The law bringeth a curse unto them which lyve under it: the gospel bringeth blessing. The law bringeth bondage; the gospell, spirtuall liberty. The lawe is the letter; the gospel, is the spirite. The lawe hath promises, but with this condition, if ye shall doo all those thinges: the promises of the gospel are gree and therefore are firme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back