Law categories 'moral', 'civil' and 'ceremonial' - concise list for the first 5 books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCF Admirer

Puritan Board Freshman
Hoping someone on the forum could help with this question:

The standard understanding of 'the law' is based on WCF 19.3 to 19.5 - with the categories 'moral', 'civil' and 'ceremonial'.

Could someone provide a systematic breakup of which of the commands in particularly the first 5 books (Torah) are considered 'moral' and 'civil' prescriptions (and which still apply today).

The Jews have a standard list of 613 mitzvot (commands) and then through an exegitical processs - end up with about 268 that still apply today.

I am hoping there is a reference guide that the Puritans; or any other scholar; has completed in regards to a clear & systematic classification of the 'moral' & 'civil' prescriptions that still apply today.

James Jordan has a book called 'The law of the Covenant' regarding Ex 21 to 23 - which is a nice start - but I am hoping there is a fuller & concise list of prescriptions for the first 5 books.

Thanks in advance.

The Finger of God by Philip Ross has a few diagrams of how some historical figures have broken them up.
When I am home in the evening I will try to post some images.

They broke them up based upon the Ten commandments actually. I didn't see charts breaking up which would be civil or ceremonial, only those that have a moral component.
0507222035_HDR.jpg
0507222036_HDR.jpg 0507222036a_HDR.jpg 0507222037_HDR.jpg

The Reformed & Presbyterian consensus on this is univocal. Just ask the ten different takes from five different commentators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back