Law extends to motives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
Where in Scripture does it show that the obedience that the Law requires extends to the motivations/intentions? I understand that the obedience it requires extends to the heart, as Jesus describes in the Beatitudes (and as is explained in other places in Scripture). But where does it clearly show in Scripture that the Law commands obedience of even the right motivations? (I was trying to think of Scripture passages in addition to 1 Cor 10:31) My first thoughts are about some OT passages where even though people went through the right motions, it was not considered the obedience God required. I'm needing a little help understanding this concept in this specific light -- thanks!

Could you elaborate how you see motive as different from what you are calling that which 'extends to the heart'?

(Isa 29:13) Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

(Eph 6:6) Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;

(Rom 6:17) But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

(Jos 22:5) But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.

(Rom 2:29) But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

(Psa 51:6) Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

Maybe these apply a bit.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4.12)

Thank you all for the thoughts and Scripture passages. Those were helpful. A further question of clarification: just reading through the 10 commandments, what indication would there be that they require obedience of the motives? I understand the Law is spiritual and that Paul came to realize the heart-issue of the Law by the command to not covet. So I understand the Law requires not to just not perform wicked actions, but not to have wicked thoughts either. But strictly in terms of motivations, is there an element in any of the commandments that clearly points to the fact that the commandments require pure motives in obeying them?

I think to ask the question is to answer it. How can one be obedient in their "thoughts/heart" divorced from a proper motive/intent. They are quite bound up in each other, In my humble opinion, because if it's not from the correct motivation, one seems already to have failed in their thought/heart execution thereof.

Thank, Joshua -- that makes sense. When I was reading your response, it also made me think about how, Biblically (per Heb 4:12 previously mentioned), "thoughts" and "intents" come from the heart. If we are to love God with all our heart, etc, then that involves obedience with thoughts and intents. So looking at Heb 4:12 in that light would seem to answer my real question. I know these issues are basic...it just helps clarify things in my mind and helps me really grasp the issue.

Thank you all for the thoughts and Scripture passages. Those were helpful. A further question of clarification: just reading through the 10 commandments, what indication would there be that they require obedience of the motives? I understand the Law is spiritual and that Paul came to realize the heart-issue of the Law by the command to not covet. So I understand the Law requires not to just not perform wicked actions, but not to have wicked thoughts either. But strictly in terms of motivations, is there an element in any of the commandments that clearly points to the fact that the commandments require pure motives in obeying them?

Commandment number ten, "Coveting" per se doesn't require an observable, external action but it is a violation of the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back