Law vs. Gospel Documentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
One hears different things put forward by people as to the "Reformed" view of the law/gospel distinction. I was wondering what sources to look at and what quotes people had.
Specifically: how wide of a divide is there between Lutheranism and Calvinism on this point?
Is there a Reformed consensus or was this an ongoing point of dispute?

Originally posted by py3ak
One hears different things put forward by people as to the "Reformed" view of the law/gospel distinction. I was wondering what sources to look at and what quotes people had.
Specifically: how wide of a divide is there between Lutheranism and Calvinism on this point?
Is there a Reformed consensus or was this an ongoing point of dispute?

See this page.

See esp. this page that contains quotations on law and gospel.

See also Shane Rosenthal's site Reformation Ink for lots of documentation.

To answer your question directly: No. This was not a matter of ongoing dispute. Were there moralists in the 16th and 17th centuries? Yes. Might you find a Baxter fiddling with the doctrine of justification? Yes. Did Owen reply and obliterate him? Yes. Did Owen speak for the confessional folk? Yes.

If one wants to see the Reformed consensus on this simply read the Reformed confessions.

What does Heidelberg Catechism 2 say:

What things are necessary for you to to know....?

Three things, first the greatness of my sin and misery, second, how I am redeemed from all my sins...third how I am to be thankful to God for such redemption.

Q. 3

Whence do you know the greatness of your sin....?

OUT OF THE LAW OF GOD!!!!!!!!!! (yes, I'm shouting!)

Read Ursinus' lectures on this. He says, this means law/gospel! Read the covenant theology page on my site. He says, "when I say "covenant of works," I mean "law." When I say, "covenant of grace," I mean "gospel."

Anyone who says that the Lutherans differ substantially from the Reformed on the law/gospel distinction simply does not know what they are saying. Yes, it's possible to find Modern Reformed folk making claims that the Reformed do not distinguish between law and gospel as the Lutherans do. I recently saw an appeal to something by Moises Silva to that effect. My answer: With all due respect, Moises (not MOSES) is wrong. It happens you know.

We must get back to the sources. Ad fontes!

Calvin, Beza, Ursinus, Olevianus, Perkins, Wollebius, Polanus, Owen, Turretin, Boston, the Erskines, Hodge, Warfield, Berkhof, these are not known as Lutheran theologians, but they all say the same thing, and they are just a sample of the tradition. They all agree that there are two kinds of speech in Scripture, imperatives/law ("do") and indicatives/gospel ("done" or "shall do"). They agree that, in justification, the law does one thing (condemns) and the gospel another (justifies).

This was a basic Protestant doctrine. It was and remains the foundation of the doctrine of justification.

Cash it in and you've bought a one-way ticket to Rome. I think some folks are in the dining car right now. Maybe they should look out the window? They might notice that the scenery is changing.

rsc

Cash it in and you've bought a one-way ticket to Rome. I think some folks are in the dining car right now. Maybe they should look out the window? They might notice that the scenery is changing.

I have been first-hand witness to this. A friend and fellow partner in ministry has bought that ticket and now stands on the threshold of a trainwreck in respect to his faith. The consequences are more than just a radical view, it is a persons very soul.

In my humble opinion

Thanks, Dr. Clark. That page with quotes was just what I was looking for. You mentioned Warfield --is that in his 10-volume set?

If one has a proper understanding of the three uses of the law, I don't understand how they would deny the law/gospel dichotomy. :um:

I would gather that this is the Bavinck article you helped get into Spanish? Are there any limitations on distribution of that article? I have a couple of young men who may one day be preachers....

Originally posted by py3ak
I would gather that this is the Bavinck article you helped get into Spanish? Are there any limitations on distribution of that article? I have a couple of young men who may one day be preachers....

We got the section of the Reformed Dogmatics dealing with creation.

(Note: 1.3 MB of data in a pdf)

http://www.contra-mundum.org/castellano/libros/dogmatica/Principio.pdf

To download by chapters goto:

http://www.contra-mundum.org/libros.html

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by tewilder]

I have bookmarked your site. I think some of those articles may come in very handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back