LBC 14.1, The Spirit of Christ vs the Holy Spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol-H

Puritan Board Freshman
I am working through a small group bible study going through the 1689 LBCF. I know that the writers have been very deliberate in their choice of words to form the confession.
My question is this:
LBCF chapter 14, paragraph 1 (Of Saving faith)
why did they choose the term "Spirit of Christ" when it would seem fitting to say "Holy Spirit"? or are they properly synonymous in this context?

And could I get a bit more perspective on the difference between the two?

Thanks.

My question is this:
LBCF chapter 14, paragraph 1 (Of Saving faith)
why did they choose the term "Spirit of Christ" when it would seem fitting to say "Holy Spirit"? or are they properly synonymous in this context?
They are synonymous (Rom. 8:9; 1 Pet. 1:11).

They are one and the same. The Spirit is also referred to as the Spirit of God, but that doesn't mean He has a different Spirit. God has a Spirit and Christ has a Spirit, but there are not 2 Spirits. This is a distinction of designation (Father and Son) which aids in the development of trinitarianism. As John Reuther puts it: "The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father and the Spirit of the Son."

Perhaps he is called the Spirit of Christ here because it's on the basis of Christ's saving work that Christ sends the Spirit to give his people the faith by which they believe to the saving of their soul.

Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get my pastor's input as well before the study and he agreed with your conclusions.

Best regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back