Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
I have such a passion for learning and always have. But now that I have grasped and my heart has been open to the doctrines of grace, reformed/covenant theology, and new eschatology, I just can't get enough. It's like I'm 13 all over again hearing truths for the first time!

Would you all suggest a "method" or learning?

For example, I have been in deep study of partial preterism and Post Mill. I have read 6 books or so (and scripture) studying these two things. I have 4 or 5 more books on those subjects.

I am also intrested in other studies as well. Lordship salvation was something I studied heavily while dispensational. John MacArthur books taught me alot in that regard. Are there better "Lordship salvation" books by reformed authors? If so I would love to read them as well. Does MacArthur error in his Lordship teachings at all?

Would you all suggest studying one subject before moving on to another, or is jumping around ok?

I have such a passion for this that it almost drives me nutty, if that makes any sense....:banana: :lol:

Originally posted by houseparent
I have such a passion for learning and always have. But now that I have grasped and my heart has been open to the doctrines of grace, reformed/covenant theology, and new eschatology, I just can't get enough. It's like I'm 13 all over again hearing truths for the first time!

Would you all suggest a "method" or learning?

For example, I have been in deep study of partial preterism and Post Mill. I have read 6 books or so (and scripture) studying these two things. I have 4 or 5 more books on those subjects.

I am also intrested in other studies as well. Lordship salvation was something I studied heavily while dispensational. John MacArthur books taught me alot in that regard. Are there better "Lordship salvation" books by reformed authors? If so I would love to read them as well. Does MacArthur error in his Lordship teachings at all?

Would you all suggest studying one subject before moving on to another, or is jumping around ok?

I have such a passion for this that it almost drives me nutty, if that makes any sense....:banana: :lol:

I think you should start with the main things that are vital - start with soteriology, means of grace, covenant theology in systematics. Get a good commentary or two (Henry and Calvin I suggest) and go through the main books of Scripture (Genesis, Exodus, Psalms, Isaiah, John, Romans, Ephesians).

I'll throw one in the box for you with the other books. I have a little pocket sized booklet of The Shorter Catechism with Scripture Proofs. Consider it yours.

For the sake of memorization you might want the actual WSC besides Vincent's extended catechism. You'll have to do alot of page turning otherwise.

[Edited on 29-12-2004 by Peter]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back