Lenovo Thinkpad arrived, no DVD player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Hello,

I ordered a Lenovo Thinkpad. Good computer. But when it arrived, it had no player for a cd/DVD.

Is this the trend of the future (phasing out of DVDs and goign totally online or flashdisks)?

And, if I want to play a movie on it or get data off a cd, do I need to buy a plug-in attachable DVD player, and does anyone have any suggestions for that?

Yes, since most software is directly downloaded these days, manufacturers are doing away with the CD/DVD drive. MacBook Air has done that, too.

Perg, with my MacBook Air there is no DVD slot, and it is understood that if I want this feature I must buy one separately. It makes the computer much lighter and thinner, and one doesn't always need the DVD/CD player. If one does, one takes the small, separate drive along with it. Certainly not all computers do this, only the ones who who want to be small and light.

I bought one of these a year ago for my Samsung: Samsung external drive .

It has provisions for using two USB ports (one for data and power, one for extra power), but it actually works fine using just one USB port.

I cannot remember the last time I used a DVD. How quaint.

If you want quaint, how about getting police interview recordings in audio CD format? I have to "rip" CDs (remember that?) way too often.

But at least I haven't needed my cassette player for at least three years.

I cannot remember the last time I used a DVD. How quaint.

If you want quaint, how about getting police interview recordings in audio CD format? I have to "rip" CDs (remember that?) way too often.

But at least I haven't needed my cassette player for at least three years.
Heh. Spent a week a month ago ripping all my CDs to the cloud and for my new Sandisk Sansa Clip MP3 player. What fun! Sigh. But glad that chapter of my life is over.

By the way, I just renewed my Office 365 subscription. I get the Military Appreciation edition for $69.95/ year. It's the same as the Office 365 for Home and includes the ability to install on 5 PC's. I can even decide to whom I want to email additional licenses I control.

Unbelievably, each account now get 1 TB in the Cloud (OneDrive). Amazing!

We are starting the process of replacing laptops at work. At this stage it looks like about half the candidates have DVD slots and half don't

I have a MacBook Pro with retina and it doesn't have a DVD drive and Ethernet port! I keep a cheap amazon branded USB DVD drive and USB to ethernet adapter in my backpack for emergencies, and for the past 7 months, I've had to use it once. Given the weight difference of cutting it out, it is totally worth it In my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back