Lent

Status
Not open for further replies.

historyb

Puritan Board Junior
Me again with another question. :)

So what did the reformers think of Lent? Did/Do they observe it? Do they shun it? Do modern churches shun it, practice it? Thanks

I know there are some that can answer this better than I can but...
The Presbyterians would not have observed Lent or other man-made holy days (the Puritans didn't even like Easter or Christmas).
The Church of England and its prayer book, does observe Lent, (they even have Ash Wednesday services).
I am not sure what the Lutherans did, I think they did/do observe Lent.

An interesting question... I wasn't aware until just now that Mardi Gras has roots in Lent. It is apparently known as "Fat Tuesday", the last day to party before Ash Wednesday.
Anyways, I only mention it or find it interesting due to the fact that yesterday I "celebrated" Mardi Gras early with a room full of R.C. Sisters.

Originally posted by historyb
So what did the reformers think of Lent? Did/Do they observe it? Do they shun it? Do modern churches shun it, practice it? Thanks
I am not entirely sure. I know that the Zwingliists (though not Zwingli) refused to practice it one year under Zwingli's suggestion, as a command of men. (Obviously, a command to practice fasting specifically as Lent would be binding the conscience on a matter of liberty at best.) I don't know the other Reformers' views on this particular subject, I would tend to think they might vary. The Lutherans, with their more normative approach to things, would probably be a lot more open to things like the church year. Calvin and the Continental Reformed would probably tend to be more skeptical to these sorts of things, with their views, though I believe they still observed at least some church seasons. Obviously the Puritans were against any sort of Christian days.

As far as modern churches go, I believe Lent is observed pretty widely among Lutherans, and among the Presbyterians, Particular Baptists, and other Reformed there is a lot of variety, ranging from embracing Lent and the church year as really good, cool things to rejecting them entirely.

I'll be interested in this one.

I grew up Roman Catholic. I remember opening up my lunch on a Friday and realized that my mom had accidentally put bologna on my sandwich! I remember eating the sandwich and it tasted really bad in my mouth because I felt bad that I was eating meat on a Friday during Lent. I'm so thankful to God that I'm no longer carrying that burden.

That said, I'm curious to read what the Reformed tradition is on this - both Continental and Presbyterian.

Originally posted by SemperFideles

I grew up Roman Catholic. I remember opening up my lunch on a Friday and realized that my mom had accidentally put bologna on my sandwich! I remember eating the sandwich and it tasted really bad in my mouth because I felt bad that I was eating meat on a Friday during Lent. I'm so thankful to God that I'm no longer carrying that burden.

Yeah, but is bolonga really meat?! :p

The Southern Baptist church I attend observes Lent and Advent.

My church doesn't observe Lent nor do I, however I've been asked to go and be special speaker after a meal on Ash Wednesday at a Lutheran Church. They have also asked me to preach the following Sunday to kick off their Lenten season.

It will be a wonderful opportunity to speak about true repentance, the dangers of trying to please God in the flesh and of course I will have the privilege of preaching the Gospel.

Originally posted by SemperFideles

That said, I'm curious to read what the Reformed tradition is on this - both Continental and Presbyterian.

Hmmm ... when I was "growing up Catholic" every Friday was supposed to be meatless ... and the mass was in Latin ... and no one carried or mentioned the Bible. Fridays meant tuna in your sandwich for lunch and tuna in the spaghetti sauce for dinner.

Lent was a time when you were supposed to give up something you really liked to show how holy you were to the nuns. Then came Vatican II, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I guess I showing my age.

We had fish sticks every friday and I remember the first friday night after Vatican II that I had a hamburger. The meat just stuck in my throat and I had a hard time swallowing it. It was weird.

What's the big deal about lint? You just get one of them fancy brushes and away it goes. I really think we're taking this RPW thing too far, aren't we? What's next? Dust bunnies? Ring around the collar?

Because a pre-occupation with lint leads to naval contemplation which leads to eastern mysticism or self-centeredness which leads to "I-am-a-god" which is idolatry. I thought the deal with lint was obvious but apparently not. Hope this helps Rick.

PS, don't even get me started on dust bunnies, we shouldn't even talk about such things. :scholar:

Romans 14:5 (NKJV) - One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

I think it is not wise to have extrabiblical spiritual days out of the year... We have a sabbath -- a day of rest -- but we shouldn't think there are holy days of entrenched piety even than. After all, we're called to be "salt and light" and let our "light shine before men" 24/7/365...

Originally posted by BobVigneault
My church doesn't observe Lent nor do I, however I've been asked to go and be special speaker after a meal on Ash Wednesday at a Lutheran Church. They have also asked me to preach the following Sunday to kick off their Lenten season.

It will be a wonderful opportunity to speak about true repentance, the dangers of trying to please God in the flesh and of course I will have the privilege of preaching the Gospel.

What an awesome opportunity! I'm praying for you.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Romans 14:5 (NKJV) - One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

I think it is not wise to have extrabiblical spiritual days out of the year... We have a sabbath -- a day of rest -- but we shouldn't think there are holy days of entrenched piety even than. After all, we're called to be "salt and light" and let our "light shine before men" 24/7/365...
I don't see how we can characterize the Lenten fast as setting aside days to be more pious than others than any sort of fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back