Leon Morris on 1 & 2 Thessalonians (NICNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Thomist

Puritan Board Sophomore
Anyone read the late Leon Morris' commentary on 1 & 2 Thessalonians in the New International Commentary on the New Testament (NICNT [Eerdmans]) series? Any input would be much appreciated.

Also -- just to throw this out there -- how soteriologically Reformed was Dr. Morris? I have heard that he was a conservative Evangelical in the Church of England in Australia and (according to one source) "generally Reformed," but was he a 5-pointer?

I would be happy to own just about anything LM ever wrote. I have several of his works, including the Thess. commentary. I think you will be happy you got it. It is a bit more expanded than the earlier work he did (same material) for the Tyndale series.

I would call LM a puritan-mind. I believe he was a staunchly Reformed-minded Anglican, wholly committed to the 39 Art. in a Ussher way, a Lightfoot way, a Ryle way. Whether he ever quibbled with Dort's formula I couldn't say. But he is a very safe guide in matters biblical and theological, in my opinion.

I've read through his works on 1st Corinthians and the Thessalonian epistles from the Tyndale series. He consistently pointed out that salvation was a work of God and not a work of man. I never saw a hint that he was anything but Reformed in terms of his soteriology.

That is a good commentary. Solid Greek work, helpful application and illustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back