Let us behold His glory! - Christology thread

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth.” - John 1:14

Brothers and sisters,

Here is a thread that I intend for us to post about Christ. Anyone can post, but the goal of each post is simple: Help one another to see His glory. You can do this with a quote, a meditation, a Scripture passage, or start with ordinances, sacraments, the Law, the promises, the covenants, anything...the idea is to help one another not to see those things, but to see Him. Whatever about Christ causes us to worship, to believe more firmly, to increase in affections, to obey more joyfully, to put away our sins, please share.

The best things are the things that you can share from your own experience.

Only request: No debates.

Last edited:

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
"That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full." - 1 John 1:3-4

Christ is to be known personally be us. Before conversion He is like any other man--Caesar, Napoleon, Aristotle. We hear of them, perhaps even admire them, but we can never know them. It is not so with Christ. He comes near to us and fellowships with us. He invites us to know Him personally, to grow in mutual love and excitement for one another.

We as believers ought to talk much about Christ with one another, with the goal that through our own fellowship with Him we may have riches to share with one another. By doing this, we grow in Him our Head, love one another more, and cause each other to love Christ more. And to a true Christian, to hear about Christ and speak about Him will be a joy.

Doesn't any good wife light up to hear good words about her husband? And don't the friends of the bride rejoice with her in celebration of the one she loves? So we, the bride, sharing our love and joy with one another, will grow the joy of our fellow church members to speak about Him. This means of Christ-centered conversations is one way to help one another that "our joy may be full."

"What is your beloved more than another beloved?". Does your experience of Christ differ from your experience of other men in history? Is he on par with them? Is He most eminent or yet still a stranger? Or can you say, as you know another person, that you know Him?

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
Jonathan Edwards, the Logos is everything that the Father thinks of Himself, and accordingly has begotten the Son. And the Son must be begotten. Let this make for supreme meditation.

As God with perfect clearness, fullness, and strength, understands Himself, views His own essence, . . . that idea which God hath of Himself is absolutely Himself. This representation of the Divine nature and essence is the Divine nature and essence again: so that by God’s thinking of the Deity, [the Deity] must certainly be generated. Hereby there is another person begotten, there is another infinite, eternal, Almighty and most holy and the same God, the very same Divine nature. And this Person is the second person in the Trinity, the only begotten and dearly beloved Son of God. (Works of Jonathan Edwards, 21:116–17)

Taken from John Piper here, "Why does it matter that the Son was begotten, not made."

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
"Whom not having seen, you love..." - 1 Peter 1:8

"My heart is inditing a good matter:
I speak of the things which I have made touching the king:
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." - Psalm 45

A meditation stemming from our communion season, what does it mean that we love Christ? If asked why we love Christ, what do we often say? "Because He justifies me, He died for me, He sanctifies me, He brings me into the family of God, He will bring me to heaven." While these are great reasons to love Christ, to stop here is to say that we love Christ because of the benefits He gives us.

But persons in the Bible, when they speak about why they love Christ, speak rather differently. In Psalm 45, up until the Queen is mentioned, the benefits of relationship with Christ are not in view. The Psalmist's heart overflows not because of what he receives from Christ, but for who Christ is--Most fair of all men, a mighty conqueror, a righteous King, meek, true, faithful, whose uprightness deserves the highest unsurpassed joy, and who deserves all the dominion that the Father has given Him. The Shulammite woman in Song of Solomon 5, when challenged, "What is your beloved more than another", benefits are not in view, but the glory of her beloved, and she can hardly find words high enough to speak about His beauty, glory, and goodness. Then, her captivation with His glory inspires the daughters of Jerusalem to seek Him as well.

We would find it contemptuous if we knew a man wanted to marry a woman only for the benefits of marriage. So then, what if we are more familiar with what we get from our Lord than who He is? The Lord enable us to behold His glory, and while being supremely thankful for His benefits, to be consumed and captivated with Him!

G

Puritan Board Senior
Just this morning I was reminded in a beautiful way of Christ bearing our sins upon His heart from an Old Testament passage where the Lord is giving instruction regarding priestly garments, specifically the breastplate that was to cover the heart:

Exodus 28: 29-30 (KJV):
29 And Aaron shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the Lord continually.

30 And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron's heart, when he goeth in before the Lord: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the Lord continually.

Praise the Son for continuously serving as our mediator, who bore our sins once and for all upon his heart. Oh Christ would you come quickly!

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
Just this morning I was reminded in a beautiful way of Christ bearing our sins upon His heart from an Old Testament passage where the Lord is giving instruction regarding priestly garments, specifically the breastplate that was to cover the heart:

Exodus 28: 29-30 (KJV):

Praise the Son for continuously serving as our mediator, who bore our sins once and for all upon his heart. Oh Christ would you come quickly!

The breastplate also shows how near and dear all His people are to Him. Who can understand, what manner of love, that a holy God should keep us so near to Himself!

Song of Solomon 8:6–7
Set me as a seal upon thine heart,
As a seal upon thine arm:
For love is strong as death;
Jealousy is cruel as the grave:
The coals thereof are coals of fire,
Which hath a most vehement flame.
7 Many waters cannot quench love,
Neither can the floods drown it:
If a man would give all the substance of his house for love,
It would utterly be contemned.

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
"For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father." - John 5:22-23

No one will ever be so qualified to judge as the Son. Had it been God without ever being joined to a human nature (still He is perfectly just and qualified to judge), the damned might say,

• "You don't know what it was like to be tempted!" Christ not only knew what it was like, but was assaulted with the most vehement temptations that the mighty fallen Lucifer could throw at Him.
  • "You don't know what it was like to be poor!" Our Savior was born in a stable, and had no place to lay His head.
  • "You don't know what it's like to be oppressed!" Who ever was so unjustly condemned as the Savior?
  • "I was losing friends and family, it was too much for me to live a holy life!" Christ was thought mad by his own family members, was betrayed and abandoned, lost many of His disciples, and died alone and abandoned by His Father.
  • "Do you have any idea what the church did to me?" It's not like what the Jewish church did in unjustly excommunicating Him.
  • "Your justice is too strict; it's not fair!" Nothing was ever so "unfair" as for Christ to take away the sin of the world, and suffer the merciless wrath of God for crimes He did not commit.
  • "Enduring the wrath of hell is overkill for our crimes!" Christ thought it was fair, and as proof suffered hell to be poured out into his soul, without mercy, by the hands of a furious and avenging God.

And yet, in all these things, Christ did not sin.

So when Christ judges, it will be as a man who suffered greatly, more than any man ever has, thus it will be a truly informed and fair judgment. He was tempted, oppressed, faced sorrows and persecution as a man, and faced the righteous anger of God in full force as well as all the devil could throw at Him, yet He upheld the Law as right and just, and yielded to sin not even a moment. So when Christ judges, the conscience of every wicked man and woman will be forced to say it is a fair, good, and righteous judgment, and that their own judge in His humiliation for the sake of righteousness did not avail Himself of any of their excuses.

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
We have been taught by the love of God to love our neighbor as ourselves. I see in the atonement the Son, as well as the Father, doing just this. How does such a great and holy God come to love in this fashion?

The Son in giving Himself for His bride, sacrificing all display of His glory to be humiliated. Immense zeal of love, to have not done for this for those that are sinless, but those that are enemies.

1 John 4:9–11 - "In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. "

John 15:9, “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you.”. The love of the Son for us is no less than the Father's love for Him, by which I am forced to conclude that the Father's love is no less for us than for His Son's, even though the Son's reward is greater. But by union doesn't His blessedness become our's?

John 17:21, “And I have declared unto them thy name and will declare it, that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

For @Pergamum and his wife. A cozy American is unworthy to unloosen the sandals of war-torn missionaries to a people whom few know about, of whom fewer care about. Yet may God use such a truth to help you keep yourselves in the love of God, and to not become weary in well-doing. The Son alone knows what it is to love unto the very end of Himself.

RPEphesian

Puritan Board Junior
THE CALLING OF DAVID, COMPARISON TO CALLING OF Christ TO KINGSHIP

Mediations on David pre-figuring his greater Son.

Some Lord's-Day-appropriate politics for you.

With some help from Matthew Henry:

David pictures the humiliation of Christ. David is not so much as invited to the sacrifice in 1 Samuel 16, and is esteemed less than his brothers. Christ began His earthly walk in a despised condition--born to a poor family, in a barn, laid in a feeding trough. Who believed that a son of a poor carpenter, who had not been schooled under the Rabbis, could possibly be the Messiah?

God often chooses the poor and despised to be rich in faith. David, the least of his brothers, is chosen to be king. So Christ, a lowly carpenter, is chosen to be King of the Church.

David is anointed and endowed while jealous Saul was in power. Christ is proclaimed king while jealous Herod is in power.

David came to Samuel probably in standard shepherd attire, yet he had a lovely countenance. Christ had no form or comeliness that we should admire Him, yet to those who could see, He was glorious (John 1:14).

David was not a military man, or a noble, but a pastor, and that was the best work to train the next king of Israel. So Christ is the Son of David, for as Mediator He is shepherd of the church.

The Spirit had rushed on David so that David would be given all necessary gifts to rule Israel. Christ at His baptism was anointed to His office and given the Spirit to fulfill His as Mediator-King.

So far He is David's son.

Yet being God joined with a human body, possessing natural divine right as God, and as God-Man having been elevated to His position at the right of the Father, ruling only righteously, perfectly, sinlessly, with infinite wisdom, having the Spirit without measure, forever, He is David's Lord.

David would first suffer and walk through the valley of the shadow of death before attaining his glorious kingship. So Christ would suffer humiliation before being exalted to the Right Hand of God.