Let us behold His glory! - Christology thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now seeing it is only by Christ our transgressions can be pardoned, and only by Christ our corruptions can be conquered, it must needs be only by Christ our souls can be saved; and if it be only by Christ we can be saved, without him we cannot but be damned.

William Beveridge, Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica; or, The Doctrine of the Church of England Consonant to Scripture, Reason, and Fathers: In a Discourse upon the Thirty-Nine Articles Agreed upon in the Convocation held at London MDLXII in The Theological Works of William Beveridge, D.D. (12 vols, Oxford: John Henry Parker, 1842-48), 7: 355.

@Reformed Covenanter gets this thread. :)

Whoever reads this, please share anything that displays Christ and has moved your heart to worship, awe, reverence, love, fear concerning Him. It is He who is the great need of the times.

Congratulations to the Puritan Seminary graduation class of 2021! Among whom was our own @Hamalas whom Dr. Beeke had conferred the name after the style of Bunyan, "Mr. Christ-Preacher." The Lord keep that true of you all throughout your ministry life, brother.

Congratulations as well to our Nate Eshelman, "Mr. Truth Seeker" (if I remember rightly)! Whom I could not figure out how to tag.

This was also the first year in which Puritan Seminary conferred doctorates upon Ph.D students.

And wonderfully, the commencement speaker was Pr. Paul Washer, whose message was "A good minister of Jesus Christ."

Below is the link. And although it is addressed primary to potential/current pastors, the first 15 minutes are well worth it for everyone to listen to, as he exhorts that we draw near to Christ, and to study Christ; and to realize, even after thousands of ages of studying Christ, we will only have touched the foothill of the Everest of who He is. The Lord grant many more pastors who live for none but Him, who know no man after the flesh, and know nothing amongst anyone except Christ and Him crucified.

A Good Minister of Jesus Christ - Paul Washer

And if anyone could help me embed the video in this thread, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
This is all great news! On embedding the video, apparently the url has to come from one of the sources that will work on this site (YouTube, etc). Can you find it somewhere other than sermon audio? I won’t be able to hang with it but just wanted to mention that, at least.

This is all great news! On embedding the video, apparently the url has to come from one of the sources that will work on this site (YouTube, etc). Can you find it somewhere other than sermon audio? I won’t be able to hang with it but just wanted to mention that, at least.

I can't seem to find it on YouTube, but blessed be our Lord for such a work as He does in this man, and in this faithful seminary--and I trust He will do, in these fresh graduates.

Congratulations to the Puritan Seminary graduation class of 2021! Among whom was our own @Hamalas whom Dr. Beeke had conferred the name after the style of Bunyan, "Mr. Christ-Preacher." The Lord keep that true of you all throughout your ministry life, brother.

Congratulations as well to our Nate Eshelman, "Mr. Truth Seeker" (if I remember rightly)! Whom I could not figure out how to tag.

This was also the first year in which Puritan Seminary conferred doctorates upon Ph.D students.

And wonderfully, the commencement speaker was Pr. Paul Washer, whose message was "A good minister of Jesus Christ."

Below is the link. And although it is addressed primary to potential/current pastors, the first 15 minutes are well worth it for everyone to listen to, as he exhorts that we draw near to Christ, and to study Christ; and to realize, even after thousands of ages of studying Christ, we will only have touched the foothill of the Everest of who He is. The Lord grant many more pastors who live for none but Him, who know no man after the flesh, and know nothing amongst anyone except Christ and Him crucified.

A Good Minister of Jesus Christ - Paul Washer

And if anyone could help me embed the video in this thread, I'd appreciate it.
done

Proverbs 17:3 - The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts.

Meditations:
  • For Christ to be proven pure and sinless, His trials had to be severe. And we know they were severe. Because He was sinless, He was far more prone to grief when He witnessed sin of any kind or degree Temptations were especially abhorrent when sent to Him, sharper and more fiery than we can sense them to be. If our righteous example has caused others to hate us, how much more Christ's earned hatred for himself. The more holy a man is, the more the devil tries to tempt and share him, and so Christ was prominently in the devil's sights for his worst temptations and most vehement efforts. And yet, the greatest trial of all was to be sinless and submissive even while true hell was poured into His soul. But all this was necessary so that Christ could be shown to be the Son of God, sinless, worthy to be Mediator.
  • At the end of His trial, it is clear that He is the Son of God. Even the centurion passed that judgment upon witnessing the way in which He suffered. "Truly this was the Son of God."
  • This is a trial appointed by the Father. It had to be such a trial that were there any sin, it would undoubtedly show, and the Father appointed one in which anyone less than the Son of God--men or angels--would have been crushed under pressure. And the all-knowing Father would be the inspector of the offering; any discoloration whatsoever on the Son's moral character, and the Father would know it. So, the trial would satisfy the Father, the Son, the angels, and any reasonable mind that Christ is truly righteous. Even those who scrambled to prove Him a sinner at His trial could not do--before or after the crucifixion.
  • Trials for any other man show what is still sinful in him, so that he can become wiser. For Christ, they proved what was there. Prayer for wisdom includes a request for the Lord to send the trials that are necessary that one may become wise. And if trials were necessary to prove the wisdom of Christ, so trials will be necessary to not only prove we are wise, but to make us wise.

But above all encouragements, the Gospel sets before us the Sufferings of our Redeemer, and directs all his Disciples in sincerity to accustom themselves to the contemplation and expectation of Troubles on Earth; it tells them 'tis a branch of their Religion, to Suffer with him that they may Reign with him. And what is more reasonable, than if our Saviour endured superlative Sufferings to purchase Eternal Glory for us, that we should with the same Mind bear lighter Afflictions to prepare us for it?

William Bates, The great duty of resignation to the divine will in afflictions, enforced from the example of our suffering Saviour (London: Brabazon Aylmer, 1684), preface.

He is our Head, and our Leader, the Captain of our Salvation, whom we are bound to follow in taking up our Cross: His Sufferings were designed not only for our Redemption, but for our Instruction and Imitation. What he commands as God, he performed as Man, that we might voluntarily yield up our selves to the Holiness and Equity of his Law.

William Bates, The great duty of resignation to the divine will in afflictions, enforced from the example of our suffering Saviour (London: Brabazon Aylmer, 1684), p. 4.

Have you ever heard of revival coming in conjunction with the Lord's Supper? It has happened, and it's a mighty testimony to the power of Christ that in conjunction with the partaking of bread and wine, He would demonstrate visibly the superlatively powerful efficacy of His mediation.

Revival is not to be expected in all times and in all places, and no mighty work of the Spirit is ever to be expected or anticipated apart from the ordinary means of grace. Yet, the Lord keep us from being shocked when He does act extraordinarily.

Revival and the Lord's Supper - Craig J. Scott

"Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;" - Hebrews 5:7

"Christ offered up his body and soul for sinners. His cries and tears were all out of love to them, lest He should come short. If you have the Spirit of Christ, you should do the same. You should be willing to die for the brethren. But if God does not ask that you should be willing to spend and be spent, at the least you should offer cries and tears.

This is the way ministers should pray for their flocks. In secret, at night, like John Welsh of Ayr, their cries and tears should rise to God for the souls committed to them.

This is the way that fathers and mothers should pray for their children, when they are asleep. Jesus was the everlasting Father.

This is the way brothers should pray, Christ was the elder brother.

This is the way teachers should pray for their scholars.

This is the way you should pray for a sleeping world. The world was steeped in slumber, some in revelry and the dance, when Jesus lay on the ground at Gethsemane. So should it be with you.

This is the way you should pray for enemies. Christ was dying for His enemies and praying for them. This is the only world where you can wrestle with tears. There we shall be priests to offer up praise to all eternity."

"Robert Murray M'Cheyne Sermons on Hebrews." Edited by Michael D. McMullen. Banner of Truth Trust, 2004. p. 79.

But we come to speak to you as your friends. And we invite you to the knowledge of Jesus the Saviour. He hung bleeding on the cross, full of love to unworthy sinners; he is now in heaven, full of power to save you. If you cry to him, he will come among you, in the power of his salvation; you shall know him in your hearts, and joys will break in upon you like to the joys of heaven.

John Love, ‘Addresses to the People of Otaheite, Designed to Assist the Labour of Missionaries and Other Instructors of the Ignorant. To which is Prefixed A Short Address to the Members and Friends of the Missionary Society in London’ in Sermons Preached on Public Occasions: With Fifteen Addresses to the People of Otaheite, and A Serious Call Respecting a Mission to the River Indus (Glasgow: Maurice Ogle, 1826), p. 333.

"Now the work of Christ is the immediate source of this connection*. It is not formed but at his instance in his intercession. For whether we regard the intercession of Christ in general, or view it in detail, we must perceive that upon it is suspended all which takes place in the church: "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word, that they all may be one." In this we see the first active movement in a revival of religion. Be it that prayer should be made; and that uniformly it has been made by the church for this end;--Whence comes the Spirit by which they are stirred up to this holy exercise and guided in it but from the intercession of the High Priest within the veil? But though prayer be made of the church continually, not a believer will be revived, not a sinner will be converted, untill the Intercessor on high express his will that so it shall be. And how is it that Christ possesses this mighty, this marvelous influence? it is because he fulfilled all righteousness and poured out his soul unto death: "When thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed"--"He shall see the travail of his soul and shall be satisfied."

Rev. Jonathan R. Anderson
The Work of Christ in Connection with the Revival of Religion - His Atonement, Righteousness, and Intercession

Taken from "Lectures on the Revival of Religion." Compiled by Richard Owen Roberts. Richard Owen Roberts, Publishers. 1980. Originally published in 1840 by William Collins, Glasgow.

*Union with Christ

No explanatory quote. Just a passage speaking for itself.

“Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, nor wrinkle; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, and of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.” – Ephesians 5:25-33

Here is some Christology from above by Thomas Aquinas. I realise that this thread is more devotional in nature, though you cannot have real devotion without doctrine:

As to nature, in Christian doctrine the beginning and principle of our wisdom is Christ, inasmuch as he is the wisdom and Word of God, i.e., in his divinity. But as to ourselves, the beginning is Christ himself inasmuch as the Word has become flesh (John 1:14), i.e., by his incarnation.

Thomas Aquinas, Super Evangelium S. Ioannis Lectura (1270-72), C1.L1.n34.5.

Here is some Christology from above by Thomas Aquinas. I realise that this thread is more devotional in nature, though you cannot have real devotion without doctrine:

As to nature, in Christian doctrine the beginning and principle of our wisdom is Christ, inasmuch as he is the wisdom and Word of God, i.e., in his divinity. But as to ourselves, the beginning is Christ himself inasmuch as the Word has become flesh (John 1:14), i.e., by his incarnation.

By all means, deep theological things too. :) Fully agreed, there is no devotion without true knowledge.

Haven't quite figured out, what is it that Thomas Aquinas is saying by this quote?

Our sermon yesterday morning in connection with the Lord's Table was on Christ's humanity. A few Christological points from the sermon and from discussion afterward, and a little searching of old PB threads. Please add your own thoughts:

• It isn't proper to talk about Christ being begotten by the Holy Spirit; or this would make the Son to proceed from the Spirit, which is backwards. I think it has a heretical ramification for Christ's physical constitution, as though it could lead to an idea that His body was a mix of human and divine.
  • Christ's body was not created ex nihilo, as some say perhaps in order to protect His human nature from possibility of corruption. Christ did truly have Mary's genetics. If not, Christ is disconnected from the human race, and cannot represent us.
  • Christ was made in the "likeness of sinful flesh." This phrase is carefully crafted by Paul. He cannot be sinful, or His offering could not be accepted; but He also had to be like us to represent us. Christ could not have the pre-Fall nature of Adam, or the glorified body at the time of His being under the Law, or His ability to represent, sympathize, and succor us would be compromised (Hebrews 2:16-18).
  • Christ had to come as near to our fallen state as possible without actually becoming corrupted. This means that Christ in His human body had all the weaknesses of post-Fall man, not pre-fall. Per Owen, I think Adam's capacities were far more advanced before the Fall.
  • We had a discussion question on how it is that some would think that because Joseph was not the father of Christ, that original sin was not passed on. It still leaves the question of how Mary's corruption was not passed on. In Scripture per Romans 5 and 1 Cor 15:22, it is by headship in Adam that original sin is passed on--that is, the man--but this is in regards to federal headship, in which original sin is imputed to us. That is, the guilt of Adam's sin.
  • However, it doesn't make sense to say that because Mary was a woman, that somehow she could not pass on her corruption. "In sin did my mother conceive me", Ps. 51. What makes the difference is the Holy Spirit in Luke 1, who can ensure that at the time Christ was formed in the womb, that not a drop of corruption passed on, and all sin and corruption remained with Mary's person, but none passed on to Christ.
  • Question I'm pondering myself, perhaps the debate over the creation/traducing of the soul is not so relevant, because it is the Spirit that made the difference.

A few old threads with thoughts worth meditating on:

Last edited:
Haven't quite figured out, what is it that Thomas Aquinas is saying by this quote?

I think what he is saying is that in order for our Christology to be orthodox, we must begin with Christology from above (his deity), as opposed to beginning with a Christology from below, which is fashionable among modern liberals (that last observation was mine, not Thomas's).

On Friday, I was meditating upon the clause in the Apostles' Creed that Christ "suffered under Pontius Pilate." I have often wondered why that line was so important that it had to be in the creed. Then it occurred to me, with the help of the Heidelberg Catechism, that it reminds us that He who is justice itself, suffered the greatest injustice in history, at the hands of an unjust judge, in order to satisfy divine justice on behalf of unjust sinners to deliver them from the just vengeance of an infinitely just God. It also reminds us that He who was unjustly condemned by an unjust judge will come again to judge the world with perfect righteousness. On that day, the judge of all the world shall do right.

The first words of Spurgeon at the Metropolitan Tabernacle on March 24, 1861 taken from here:

"I would propose that the subject of the ministry of this house, as long as this platform shall stand, and as long as this house shall be frequented by worshippers, shall be the person of Jesus Christ. I am never ashamed to avow myself a Calvinist, although I claim to be rather a Calvinist according to Calvin, than after the modern debased fashion. I do not hesitate to take the name of Baptist. You have there (pointing to the baptistery) substantial evidence that I am not ashamed of that ordinance of our Lord Jesus Christ; but if I am asked to say what is my creed, I think I must reply: “It is Jesus Christ.”

My venerable predecessor, Dr. Gill, has left a body of divinity admirable and excellent in its way; but the body of divinity to which I would pin and bind myself for ever, God helping me, is not his system of divinity or any other human treatise, but Christ Jesus, who is the sum and substance of the gospel; who is in himself all theology, the incarnation of every precious truth, the all-glorious personal embodiment of the way, the truth, and the life."

Spurgeon's last words at the Metropolitan preached on June 7, 1891, taken from here.

"Depend upon it, you will either serve Satan or Christ, either self or the Saviour. You will find sin, self, Satan, and the world to be hard masters; but if you wear the livery of Christ, you will find him so meek and lowly of heart that you will find rest unto your souls. He is the most magnanimous of captains. There never was his like among the choicest of princes. He is always to be found in the thickest part of the battle. When the wind blows cold he always takes the bleak side of the hill. The heaviest end of the cross lies ever on his shoulders. If he bids us carry a burden, he carries it also. If there is anything that is gracious, generous, kind, and tender, yea lavish and superabundant in love, you always find it in him. These forty years and more have I served him, blessed be his name! and I have had nothing but love from him. I would be glad to continue yet another forty years in the same dear service here below if so it pleased him. His service is life, peace, joy. Oh, that you would enter on it at once! God help you to enlist under the banner of Jesus even this day! Amen."

On Friday, I was meditating upon the clause in the Apostles' Creed that Christ "suffered under Pontius Pilate." I have often wondered why that line was so important that it had to be in the creed. Then it occurred to me, with the help of the Heidelberg Catechism, that it reminds us that He who is justice itself, suffered the greatest injustice in history, at the hands of an unjust judge, in order to satisfy divine justice on behalf of unjust sinners to deliver them from the just vengeance of an infinitely just God. It also reminds us that He who was unjustly condemned by an unjust judge will come again to judge the world with perfect righteousness. On that day, the judge of all the world shall do right.

This makes me want to crack open Hugh Martin again on the Shadow of Calvary. These twisted trials did become the courts in which the Son was declared criminal by the Father; both by the church courts, and civil courts, proven innocent but declared guilty, and made an outcast by both institutions of God.

To go along with your last sentence:

WLC - Q. 56. How is Christ to be exalted in his coming again to judge the world?
A. Christ is to be exalted in his coming again to judge the world, in that he, who was unjustly judged and condemned by wicked men, shall come again at the last day in great power, and in the full manifestation of his own glory, and of his Father's, with all his holy angels, with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God, to judge the world in righteousness.

"The post-Reformation scholar Richard Muller has questioned the usefulness of labeling various theologians over the centuries as 'Christocentric', mostly because no theologian would claim not to be Christocentric. And when theologians from various theological traditions all make the claim to be Christocentric, there is perhaps good reason to question the value of the term." - Mark Jones, "Antinomianism: Reformed Theology's Unwelcome Guest?", p. 20.

It's a trendy thing today to be "Christ-centered." It's trendy even among heretics! Sometimes the devil himself puts the angelic dress of Christ-centeredness to do his own dirty work.

For some, it is a way to say that the words and acts of Christ are more inspired than other parts of the Bible. It sounds like it pays homage to him.

Some will create underground fissions in a congregation because the pastor is not "Christ-centered." I've seen it happen.

In other cases, in order to be more Christ-centered, there will be claims that the Law not only in its force in the Covenant of Works is taken away from believers, but altogether and superseded with the "law of Christ."

Some go so far as to say that Christ performs our daily obedience for us, attributing an imputation from Christ to us that does not exist.

These things are said for the sake of being "Christ-centered", or making the Gospel more free, or exalting the Savior. When in reality, they destroy or distort some other aspect of His mediatorial work.

By doing away with any reference to the Law, or considering His words spoken on the earth to be more inspired, they dishonor Him as prophet, and for lack of knowledge disobey their king.

By claiming imputations beyond what is written, they distort the priesthood.

No one is Christological who does not take "The Whole Christ."

Brothers and sisters,

This is my last post on PuritanBoard. Considering all duties incumbent on me in the world of real life, the only way I can faithfully perform them is to leave. And, knowing myself, I just need to go to this level.

Last year was a turbulent year, and I started the thread to help gather ourselves around the one whom we all love, as a way to unify. Whatever happens, we have "one Lord, one faith, one baptism", we are bought with His blood, and we are growing up into our Head. As we do, we grow closer to one another.

I've received great benefit from the people of this forum, and there's many great things to be found present and past here. The Lord bless it all to His glory, advancement of His Kingdom, and His will being done.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen." - 1 Cor. 13:14

Sorry to see you go Jake. The Lord bless your endeavors and you know the door's open if you ever want to come back.
Brothers and sisters,

This is my last post on PuritanBoard. Considering all duties incumbent on me in the world of real life, the only way I can faithfully perform them is to leave. And, knowing myself, I just need to go to this level.

Last year was a turbulent year, and I started the thread to help gather ourselves around the one whom we all love, as a way to unify. Whatever happens, we have "one Lord, one faith, one baptism", we are bought with His blood, and we are growing up into our Head. As we do, we grow closer to one another.

I've received great benefit from the people of this forum, and there's many great things to be found present and past here. The Lord bless it all to His glory, advancement of His Kingdom, and His will being done.

"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen." - 1 Cor. 13:14

He was full of truth, because he did not teach in enigmas and figures, nor gloss over the vices of men, but preached the truth to all, openly and without deception.

Thomas Aquinas, Super Evangelium S. Ioannis Lectura (1270-72), C.1.L7.n190.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back