Level of education in the household of Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Bruckner

Puritan Board Professor
It is obvious that David was educated. He wrote the Psalms, so obviously literacy was required, he played the harp, hence obviously musical education was required. And during the Psalms, he would quote requirely from the 5 books of Moses.

And let us keep in mind that David was a shepherd.

I guess Jesse was really serious about his children's education, since David was the obvious non entity amongst his clan, hence we can infer that his elder brothers were also widely read, and talented, even more than David, except that they lacked the intimate relationship with God.

Very good points, Keon. I don't believe I've read anything on this subject historically, but your points certainly speak well for homeschooling! :pilgrim:

Compared to most historical personages, WE are the severely ignorant. We rely on information that others were able to come to on their own.

Funny (dealing with physical compacities instead of mental though): I was reading Timeline by Michael Crichton. Albeit, it is fictional. In one part of the story, the pages are dressing one of the guys from our period in history in our timeline. They ask him if he has been ill. Upon his saying of nay, they want to know what ailment he has that his body is so small and weak. And this is supposed to be a character who rock climbs and scuba dives in our present age!!!

Brings to mind....David tore apart a lion (and a bear, I believe). Wouldn't happen with any man nowadays!

good resource, touches on this subject:

William Binnie, The Psalms: Their history, teaching, and use. (1870)

I thought humans were getting stronger? Or is it the science used behind some of the training these days which creates super athletes? Just look at the length a modern athlete can throw a javelin now compare to a thousand years ago.

Also - do we have to assume David was literate to 'write' the Psalms? Certainly we had a good grasp of the first five books of the Bible but could he have not got that through memorisation and the reading of them amongst the family?

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
good resource, touches on this subject:

William Binnie, The Psalms: Their history, teaching, and use. (1870)

My church's magazine has published articles based on this work, but I have not read the whole thing. Looks like another good book to add to my list. :up:

Do you have evidence that we can throw a javelin farthar now than 1000yrs ago? I doubt we're doing it. And they had better accuracy than we have now.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
Do you have evidence that we can throw a javelin farthar now than 1000yrs ago? I doubt we're doing it. And they had better accuracy than we have now.
I am just looking it up although it seems over the last 20 years they have been throwing them shorter distances since the javelin was redesigned for safety reasons :scholar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw Maybe I have been wrong all this time. I am certainly not an expert in sport and fitness.

LOL...neither than I. But given writings of history. And having knowledge of period dress and activities they had to accomplish in them (and the weight of them, etc)...it only makes sense. Also given the fact the our genetics are degenerating rather than improving, it would stand to reason that we are getting weaker.

It could be our top athletes are getting better in some areas due to advances in science and our better knowledge of our the body works, training and diet etc... think of marathon runners. Phidippides ran around 26 miles after the Battle of Marathon and died because of it. Now 'matathon' runners run that distance all the time.

knowledge not founded in truth may gain a man short term profit-but will corrode away in the long term destroying a society.

blade

Originally posted by Abd_Yesua_alMasih
It could be our top athletes are getting better in some areas due to advances in science and our better knowledge of our the body works, training and diet etc... think of marathon runners. Phidippides ran around 26 miles after the Battle of Marathon and died because of it. Now 'matathon' runners run that distance all the time.
the fact that he ran that after a battle, when he was not a direct distance runner shows something of his physical prowess.

I'm sure if he didn't have the fatigue of the battle, he could have beaten kiptunui, and gabrielle selasie.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by Slippery]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Very good points, Keon. I don't believe I've read anything on this subject historically, but your points certainly speak well for homeschooling! :pilgrim:
the question I have to ask is how did Jesse do it? How did he get the time to impart into his children, since they were mostly in an agragrian and cattle culture, which usually requires labor intensive work from sun up to sun down.

I could understand Samuel, and the Levites, since they were principally employed in the Lord's work, which requires performing the religious duties that in the least required knowledge of the Law, and the only way this could be done was via learning.

Great strength and knowledge is also a spiritual gift (or even torment). I believe David had God's Spirit and accomplished many great things (not of his own accord). This is not to say that Jesse did not have a role (since this was a decree of God in the formation/maturity of David). I believe Jesse had an active role and recognized his tremendous responsibility over his household.

Man is absolutely capable of doing great wonders (now as was done in the past). Spiritual aid is a reality (even within the realm of the unholy). Superior intellect and great strength will flourish (and has flourished) in demonic strongholds. If they can do it within a man, so can the Spirit of God within the elect.

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by Texas Aggie]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back