Leviticus 15: Concerning Bodily Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
I have been walking my family through the book of Leviticus in our Family Worship time. I am seeking to be educational and clear in reading and explaining some of the text. To be clear (seeing as I have very young daughters currently), I am reminding them of the context of the whole book as begin each new chapter. This book primarily being ceremonial and concerning the laws surrounding the Levitical Priesthood and the common peoples relation thereunto. This has been helpful even in the passages that seem more distant for the 21st century reader.

Matthew Henry’s commentary seems to call the emission in men a type of disease. I am not sure I agree given the context, as it seems more clear this is what occurs more naturally in men when they go for longer periods of time without intercourse as opposed to some sin the man committed. The previous chapters dealt with Leprosy and seemed more clearly to be a judgment skin disease and further a uncleanliness linked to sin. Also I have been trying to ensure I remind my family that just because something causes one to be ceremonially unclean DOES NOT necessitate that a person personally sinned, though it is still a reminder of the fall and curse of Adam.

My question is basic and broad. If you have walked through Leviticus 15 with your family or in a group setting, what have you found helpful in your approach?

P.S. If indeed these natural emissions in men, leading to uncleanliness, we’re NOT necessarily because of personal sin, then why was a “sin offering” required?

Last edited:
It was a ceremonial uncleanness in the same way a woman on her period was ceremonially unclean. There is no sin there, but the woman had to bring an offering afterwards.
Perhaps simply to acknowledge that any communion with God must begin with remission of sins, whatever they may be. It's a reminder that we're all sinners all the time.

I suppose it could be argued that menstruation and emissions is a result of the Fall. In a perfect world, they would not occur.

Here is Matthew Henry on the Men’s Emission, though he does give a nod to nature on the woman’s cycle, he feels the description of the men’s emission is a disease relating to sin:

We have here the law concerning the ceremonial uncleanness that was contracted by running issues in men. It is called in the margin (v. 2) the running of the reins: a very grievous and loathsome disease, which was, usually the effect and consequent of wantonness and uncleanness, and a dissolute course of life, filling men's bones with the sins of their youth, and leaving them to mourn at the last, when all the pleasures of their wickedness have vanished, and nothing remains but the pain and anguish of a rotten carcase and a wounded conscience.

Here is Matthew Henry on the Men’s Emission, though he does give a nod to nature on the woman’s cycle, he feels the description of the men’s emission is a disease relating to sin:
I think a difference is made in the text between venerial disease and discharging "seed of copulation" (KJV). One is a constant sore and weeping of fluid from the sore--the other is not a sickness but a healthy reminder to young men that it is not good for man to be alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back