Libronix Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
OK, pretty lame to ask in this forum, but here goes . . .

Has anyone taken advantage of the "limited time offer" at Logos for upgrades? It is limited to this month.

According to them, a shift in my base package from Scholar's Gold LE to Scholar's Platinum KF represents approximately a $3,405 difference in the basic books included. For this fabulous advance, they "only" want $279.05.

A preliminary survey of the differences suggests some sets that would be kindof cool (e.g., Charles Simeon’s Horae Homileticae Commentary (21 vols.)) and a bunch of things that I have already paid good money to download (e.g., BDAG, Shedd, etc.).

Without doing a laborious search of everything in the list and comparing with my existing library, it is difficult to know how much really new stuff is here.

Anybody done this already? Any opinions?

Dennis,
I did this last year (when Logos 4 came out). In theory, the Logos updater takes into account what you have already paid for (e.g. BDAG) and so reduces the price at least somewhat. That means that someone else who upgrades who does not own that material will pay a little bit more than you, say $325. I found the upgrade to Platinum to be worthwhile, whereas I did not think that the price increase to jump to Portfolio was. I thought that on the Logos webpage there was a comparison of the various base packages, where you could see which items were new. I just did a quick search and here it is:

Logos Bible Software - Comparison Chart - Logos Bible Software

at first glance, it looks like you get:
  • Ironside's commentaries
  • the Pillar commentaries
  • the UBS handbooks
  • Erdersheim
  • the Broadus Preaching collection
  • AW Pink collection
  • Berkower
and some more.

Fred,

Thanks. That was my initial take too. I have all of the ones you listed. Among the major sets, Simeon would be the most valuable. Beyond that, it looked like I would get a ton of books that have never been on my A list of "must have" volumes.

Fred,

I looked at it again and picked it up. In my case it added 210 books to my collections. Portfolio would have cost another $2340!!! Platinum was sensible; Portfolio was ridiculous!!!

I'm mulling this same thing. I just wish it weren't deadlined for this month. Of all months this one is the toughest.

I'm mulling this same thing. I just wish it weren't deadlined for this month. Of all months this one is the toughest.
Typically, you can have a payment plan from Logos. I think you can divide the payment over a number of months with a processing fee each month (it may be $5, maybe more). You can also pay it off sooner, and avoid future processing fees. They are not trying to make money/interest off it, just cover costs and increase sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back