Life, and blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd, that's beautiful man. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I wish I could grab you by the horns and kiss you on the forehead. (When you change your avatar, that phrase is going to sound a bit kinky.)

Better yet, I wish I could buy you a beer. Blessings friend.

Todd, that's beautiful man. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I wish I could grab you by the horns and kiss you on the forehead. (When you change your avatar, that phrase is going to sound a bit kinky.)

Remind me never to change my avatar ;)

And... someday we'll just have to "hop" over to Janesville to see you... it's only a little more than 3 hrs...

When a baby is conceived, there is an initial cell that is formed, whose nucleus contains the genetic information from which the cells produced through division of this initial cell are copies. That first cell has DNA that is a combination of the two parents' DNA signatures.

And that is really the definition of life, in biology. Respiration. The new cell is genetically different than the mother, and in no way the mother. And that new cell can divide, and more than one human individual can be produced out of that one cell.

Which is one of weaknesses of calling a human egg a person right after a sperm cell penetrates it. The cell is alive, and not the mother. But there is no way anyone can prove it has a soul, so it's best not to get too dogmatic where God has withholden information.

Remind me never to change my avatar ;)

And... someday we'll just have to "hop" over to Janesville to see you... it's only a little more than 3 hrs...

Todd, there's a local plumbing company here that has a commercial with a heavy set woman singing in a Viking outfit with that helmet and horns. When she hits the crescendo at the end of the jingle water shoots out of the top of the horns. If we can ever get FLASH avatars that would be a great effect.

When a baby is conceived, there is an initial cell that is formed, whose nucleus contains the genetic information from which the cells produced through division of this initial cell are copies. That first cell has DNA that is a combination of the two parents' DNA signatures.

And that is really the definition of life, in biology. Respiration. The new cell is genetically different than the mother, and in no way the mother. And that new cell can divide, and more than one human individual can be produced out of that one cell.

Which is one of weaknesses of calling a human egg a person right after a sperm cell penetrates it. The cell is alive, and not the mother. But there is no way anyone can prove it has a soul, so it's best not to get too dogmatic where God has withholden information.

At what point in the pregnancy (is there a time frame in which the cell can do this) can the cell divide into two cells, then two cells exist with different DNA from each other and the parents?

At what point in the pregnancy (is there a time frame in which the cell can do this) can the cell divide into two cells, then two cells exist with different DNA from each other and the parents?

John, I have to keep basic genetics in my head since I occasionally lecture in beekeeping for the local Uni, but that's all, so I'm not claiming advanced learning.

During meiosis, (in humans, with bees it's different!) eggs and sperm are created, each of which have (normally) one half the genetic information necessary to create human life, specifically 23 chromosomes. Upon fertilization, the egg then become an individual member of the species Homo sapiens, with 46 chromosomes (my youngest son with Down's is different).

At that point the cell starts to divide. Sometimes that cell turns out to be one single Homo sapiens, sometimes more than one. If I recall correctly twins, triplets etc.. can't be produced after the 8th division. The twins etc.. have the same DNA at that time, but later divisions cause small differences, which you've all noticed in twins.

I just looked it up, and the time frame is about 2 weeks after conception. After 2 weeks two people can still be formed, but there is a high probability of "Siamese" twins resultant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back