Lifting Up Your Hands During Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

blhowes

Puritan Board Professor
A little over a year ago, I asked this question here:
Have you ever been to a church where some of the people are lifting up their hands during worship and praising God? Not in the way you might picture charasmatics doing it, but more privately, hardly noticeable.​
I got a couple helpful answers, I was wondering if anybody else has any thoughts about it.

From time-to-time, I'll notice during worship folks that have their hands raised, usually while music is being sung. Its not disruptive at all, its done very discretely. For them, it looks like the natural thing to do. For me, it would seem extremely unnatural to raise my hands (or to do anything of the sort with my hands) during worship.

As Felix Unger once said, its not good to assume, but I'm going to assume that most here don't raise their hands during worship. If you do, what is the motivation? If you use to be charasmatic or something and did at one time, what was your motivation then?

Growing up, I didn't attend church, but did go to youth group praise services and it was customary to raise our hands. I don't know why we did it, so I don't do it now, but I did like it. I think if I found that it was biblical, I would definitely lift my hands up. (But I would look strange in this RP world.)

I'd say sure, everyone go for it.

No, I meant EVERYONE, the same way, right arm, left arm, or both arms, in unison, up, down, no guys don't stop at the shoulders (ok, that's little joke).

If its to be done in corporate worship, the the whole ARMY needs to act like a disciplined unit. I'll make exceptions for those who can't (literally cannot) raise their arms, like I won't ask a wheelchair-bound person to stand. But this is the army of the Lord, the host of the Most High. Not an undisciplined rabble. If you're going to adopt a certain posture, then let the whole body adopt it together.

1Tim. 2:8 "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

Growing up, I didn't attend church, but did go to youth group praise services and it was customary to raise our hands. I don't know why we did it, so I don't do it now, but I did like it. I think if I found that it was biblical, I would definitely lift my hands up. (But I would look strange in this RP world.)
Well, if its biblical, I'm sure the RP world would want to follow your example.

Last edited:

No, I meant EVERYONE, the same way, right arm, left arm, or both arms, in unison, up, down, no guys don't stop at the shoulders (ok, that's little joke).

If its to be done in corporate worship, the the whole ARMY needs to act like a disciplined unit. I'll make exceptions for those who can't (literally cannot) raise their arms, like I won't ask a wheelchair-bound person to stand. But this is the army of the Lord, the host of the Most High. Not an undisciplined rabble. If you're going to adopt a certain posture, then let the whole body adopt it together.

1Tim. 2:8 "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

The problem I see is that not everyone does everything like a disciplined unit in church already, but this does not prevent us from continuing in our God centered ways of worship.

A perfect example is that there are several EP members here on PB who go to non-EP churches. When the church sings hymns, they stand there quietly and not sing. This is not acting like a unit, so should the church "ditch" their hymns on the basis of promoting unity (not on grounds as to who is right or wrong)?

So I cannot see where one could prohibit the raising of hands for the entire church because some do not want to do it.

The fact that we have problems doesn't mean we should get rid of the RPW, right? I'm not so much advocating prohibition as I am unity. Joe wants a baptism this week. If he doesn't get to see one, or be baptized, has he been prohibited? Why doesn't Jane just get up whenever she feels like it and start singing a Psalm? Doesn't 1 Corinthians say something about this?

The conscience bound people might be right, or they might be wrong. Maybe we should ditch the hymns for this reason alone. Or maybe, the others should go to the EP church, or just comply. It's not a good testimony to someone visiting at the same time, observing that patent lack of unity.

I think a lot of people who "raise their hands" know that they are not "going along with the crowd" but their issue isn't "this is biblical, therefore I'm doing it." But rather, "This is something that makes me feel good, and even better because I'm being spiritual when I'm doing it." Well, bosh on that. Unity is also a spiritual good, as much or more so than raising hands.

Contra_Mundum
"da wabbit"

But this is the army of the Lord, the host of the Most High. Not an undisciplined rabble. If you're going to adopt a certain posture, then let the whole body adopt it together.

1 Timothy 2:8

I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

I have always understood this passage to mean it is acceptable to hold up hands during worship and a few people do occassionally in our church.

As I grow in understanding of the regulative principle of worship and how public worship is God centered I see how random styles might be distracting. One part of me says, that's okay because they are praising God in their own way. Another side, now, says it may distract worship from God and toward the person.

I now know that if Scripture teaches us anything, it teaches us that God alone is holy and worthy of worship and we are fallen, self-centered, and self-seeking creatures. And that self-seeking, especially in worship, offends God.

A common idea in broad evangelicalism, particularly with charismatic/pentecostal influence is that worship is "personal." That now strikes me as a wrong understanding. God (not me) is the center of my worship.

Having said all that, I'm still at the point where I would like to be free to lift my hands in praise during public worship. :think:

The fact that we have problems doesn't mean we should get rid of the RPW, right? I'm not so much advocating prohibition as I am unity. Joe wants a baptism this week. If he doesn't get to see one, or be baptized, has he been prohibited? Why doesn't Jane just get up whenever she feels like it and start singing a Psalm? Doesn't 1 Corinthians say something about this?

The conscience bound people might be right, or they might be wrong. Maybe we should ditch the hymns for this reason alone. Or maybe, the others should go to the EP church, or just comply. It's not a good testimony to someone visiting at the same time, observing that patent lack of unity.

I think a lot of people who "raise their hands" know that they are not "going along with the crowd" but their issue isn't "this is biblical, therefore I'm doing it." But rather, "This is something that makes me feel good, and even better because I'm being spiritual when I'm doing it." Well, bosh on that. Unity is also a spiritual good, as much or more so than raising hands.

Oh I totally agree that we cannot have chaos in the church. I just felt that your blanket statement (or at least how I interpreted it) was a bit off.

One of the things I love about reformed circles is the refusal to dumb down worship and just go with the crowd. I personally feel that this "all or nothing" approach is a bit on the democratic/following the crowd side of things. If we deem the raising of hands as Biblical (which should be the only standard we use), then there should be no prohibition of it especially on the grounds "because Susie Joe doesn't raise her hands."

Just my :2cents:
-----Added 11/25/2008 at 02:13:35 EST-----
Contra_Mundum
"da wabbit"

But this is the army of the Lord, the host of the Most High. Not an undisciplined rabble. If you're going to adopt a certain posture, then let the whole body adopt it together.

1 Timothy 2:8

I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

I have always understood this passage to mean it is acceptable to hold up hands during worship and a few people do occassionally in our church.

As I grow in understanding of the regulative principle of worship and how public worship is God centered I see how random styles might be distracting. One part of me says, that's okay because they are praising God in their own way. Another side, now, says it may distract worship from God and toward the person.

I now know that if Scripture teaches us anything, it teaches us that God alone is holy and worthy of worship and we are fallen, self-centered, and self-seeking creatures. And that self-seeking, especially in worship, offends God.

A common idea in broad evangelicalism, particularly with charismatic/pentecostal influence is that worship is "personal." That now strikes me as a wrong understanding. God (not me) is the center of my worship.

Having said all that, I'm still at the point where I would like to be free to lift my hands in praise during public worship. :think:

Although worship is God centered, it still has a human aspect to it. Worship is a human response to God for what He has done, is doing, or will do. This "personal" aspect of worship does not detract from God, in my opinion it glorifies God more and more.

Therefore if a child of God reaches up to Heaven in a same way that a little child runs up to his daddy to give him a hug, how can this be wrong?

Revelation 3:20 shows us that Christ wants a relationship with His children. It also shows that the relationship is two ways. We are not told to be impersonal to God and only have head knowledge about Him. I just cannot see how someone can have impersonal worship to God.

This should not be mistaken as an endorsement for mainline worship services. That is far from it.

Do we ever see in scripture people raising hands while singing? Isn't it only in prayer? Just my :2cents:

Maybe sometimes we misunderstand why hands were being raised.

Calvin on I Timothy 2:8

Lifting up pure hands As if he had said, “Provided that it be accompanied by a good conscience, there will be nothing to prevent all the nations from calling upon God everywhere. But he has employed the sign instead of the reality, for “pure hands” are the expressions of a pure heart; just as, on the contrary, Isaiah rebukes the Jews for lifting up “bloody hands,” when he attacks their cruelty. (Isaiah 1:15.) Besides, this attitude has been generally used in worship during all ages; for it is a feeling which nature has implanted in us, when we ask God, to look upwards, and has always been so strong, that even idolaters themselves, although in other respects they make a god of images of wood and stone, still retained the custom of lifting up their hands to heaven. Let us therefore learn that the attitude is in accordance with true godliness, provided that it be attended by the corresponding truth which is represented by it, namely, that, having been informed that we ought to seek God in heaven, first, we should form no conception of Him that is earthly or carnal; and, secondly, that we should lay aside carnal affections, so that nothing may prevent our hearts from rising above the world. But idolaters and hypocrites, when they lift up their hands in prayer, are apes; for while they profess, by the outward symbol, that their minds are raised upwards, the former are fixed on wood and stone, as if God were shut up in them, and the latter, wrapped up either in useless anxieties, or in wicked thoughts, cleave to the earth; and therefore, by a gesture of an opposite meaning,

At my church the entire congregation is invited to raise their hands for the concluding praise which is always the Doxology. We are then invited to stretch forth our hands to receive the benediction. Almost everyone joins in.
During the other hymns/psalms there may be people who on occasion raise their hands as part of their worship to the Lord.

"I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

Dr. Pipa teaches this approach in his Reformed Worship class at GPTS. His lectures are worth obtaining in general as I think he has developed a good curriculum that is sorely missing in many Reformed seminaries. One small aspect that he develops is an argument that Reformed Worship should be thoroughly engaging and thus expressed bodily as well. But, as Bruce expressed, it is a corporate act, it thus should be expressed corporately. The enagement of our bodies is proposed through spiritual postures in prayer particularly. You can find more information on it in Samuel Miller's material here in his excellent book "Thoughts on Public Prayer".

Let's bring it out of the corporate setting to the private:
Psa 143:5,6 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands. I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.

Psa 141:2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.​

Am I correct that there isn't any reason to think the raising of hands here by David shouldn't be taken literally? It sounds like he was doing it in private, and raised his hands as a way of expressing to God David's desire for God, or his dependence upon God. Is that the main reason why he raised his hands towards God?

maybe I'm a loner here, but I lift my hands up during worship - "charismatic style" if that's what we're calling it around here. You'll see in Psalm 134 a call to worship which includes the lifting of hands. Moreover, you see the passionate worship of the throne room of heaven in Revelation 4 and 5 to have angels laying prostrate before the Lord, being loud, and all the while it's all focused on God. I personally lift my hands as an expression of passion and love for the Lord. While worshipping God with his people, sometimes my whole body must respond to God. I don't see a problem with it from Scripture. Moreover, of course people can abuse such things, or raise their hands for the wrong reasons; just the same as people can refuse to raise their hands for the wrong reasons.

I'm in the same boat with Jacob. I have been for most of my life: in an anti-charismatic church growing up, in a charismatic non-reformed church, in a charismatic Calvinist church, and in Reformed churches. It is beyond me why this is an issue. Anything can be abused. Even resistance to emotional response.

I don't see a problem with it from Scripture. Moreover, of course people can abuse such things, or raise their hands for the wrong reasons; just the same as people can refuse to raise their hands for the wrong reasons.

It is beyond me why this is an issue. Anything can be abused. Even resistance to emotional response.

This is the focus I'd prefer to take in the discussion. Filter out the abuses, and focus on Biblical reasons for raising of hands. Assume its done decently and in order, with hearts prepared and ready to worship God. Assume its done for the right reasons (which is what I'm primarily inquiring about)

I'm certainly not going after people who are being passionate, "feeling it", whatever.

Honestly, if JohnQPublic comes into our worship, and raises his hands at this time or that, I'm not going to say anything negative to him.

But just as honestly, I expect the majority of JohnQPublics who do that will never visit us again, "Because they are frozen-chosen, they don't emote the way I do, therefore their spirituality is defective."

I'm not saying any of you would think that, but I'm pretty confident that the average charismatic type (the worshipers typically with their hands up, waving them, etc) would think that about the average Reformed pew-sitter.

You'll see in Psalm 134 a call to worship which includes the lifting of hands.
Psa 134:1 <A Song of degrees.> Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD.
Psa 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.
Psa 134:3 The LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion.

Is this speaking of everybody? The reason I ask is because verse 1 is referring to servants who stand in the house of the Lord at night time. Is this when everybody came to worship back then, or is it referring to priests who did service in the temple at night time?

(not to say it couldn't be extended to all, just wondering who the primary interpretation is about)

Boy, I hate to be the fuddy-duddy here, but the 'raising up hands' usually happens in modern music settings and/or contemorary worship. I wouldn't do it. It's hard to hold up hands while holding a hymnal. (I disagree with projection screen thingy too.)

But I don't think its against the Word of God either. And I don't get bent out of shape if somebody does it.

Do we ever see in scripture people raising hands while singing? Isn't it only in prayer? Just my :2cents:

Maybe sometimes we misunderstand why hands were being raised.

That's the way I understand it also Paul.
-----Added 11/25/2008 at 08:07:55 EST-----
I'm certainly not going after people who are being passionate, "feeling it", whatever.

Honestly, if JohnQPublic comes into our worship, and raises his hands at this time or that, I'm not going to say anything negative to him.

But just as honestly, I expect the majority of JohnQPublics who do that will never visit us again, "Because they are frozen-chosen, they don't emote the way I do, therefore their spirituality is defective."

I'm not saying any of you would think that, but I'm pretty confident that the average charismatic type (the worshipers typically with their hands up, waving them, etc) would think that about the average Reformed pew-sitter.

As an ex-charismatic I can tell you that you are right. At least as far as I'm concerned. Back "in the day" I would have walked out of your church service thinking about how "unspiritual" you were. Today, I have no desire to lift my hands. Maybe I've gone too far the "other" direction?

So it sounds like you are assuming motives for those that raise their hands. I think that many are just worshipping and not trying to draw atention to themselves. There are a lot of verses about God's people raising their hands in worship, why the reluctance on our part?

Unity? If this sort of unity is good, why not have a uniform to go to church too then?

Boy, I hate to be the fuddy-duddy here, but the 'raising up hands' usually happens in modern music settings and/or contemorary worship. I wouldn't do it. It's hard to hold up hands while holding a hymnal. (I disagree with projection screen thingy too.)

But I don't think its against the Word of God either. And I don't get bent out of shape if somebody does it.

I agree with Grymir. Perhaps that makes me a fuddy-duddy, too. A few people in our church, myself and my wife included, raise "holy hands" during the contemporary part of our worship (we sing two songs from the Trinity Hymnal--can't raise hands easily then--read from the Scriptures, and then sing, using PowerPoint, from three to five songs of a modern but very Christ-centered nature, during which I sometimes raise hands).

When asked about the appropriateness of raising hands, our pastor has said that he would like to, but he understands that some in the congregation might feel pressured to do so if he did.

I have been a member of this church for almost ten years, and I've never heard anyone mention feeling uncomfortable when others raise hands during worship.

I would say that lifting holy hands is more ancient than hymnbooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back