Light of nature on the Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

au5t1n

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
It is a characteristic of moral laws that they be evident - to a greater or lesser degree - in the light of nature. By the light of nature, even cultures which do not have the Scriptures are aware of the moral laws of God. What light of nature is there on the Sabbath?

That most (if not all) cultures have the concept of a 7-day week, for one. Our bodies are wired for it.

Part of the Sabbath is that we rest in the God who created all things by faith every day of the week. All human beings know this or know they should do this.

They also know that they should devote portions of time to the formal/more formal worship of this Creator God.

Do they know that they should devote one day in seven to God? As far as I'm aware the week, unlike the day, month and year (which are by natural revelation) is a portion of time by special revelation to Adam and which special revelation he was to pass on to his children.

The week is "perfect time" imposed on the "imperfect time" of the day, month and year, and together with the weekly Sabbath rest points - and always pointed - to the perfect eschatalogical Heavenly Kingdom, where there will be a New Order and we will serve God in perfect rest. We will have finally entered God, and the God-Man's, rest forever. Therefore we will not need a special day on which to enjoy and enter into that rest with him in a special way. How wonderful it will be to enjoy Christ's eternal REST with him forever!

I don't know if people without the Bible or without this special revelation handed down from Noah know in their heart of hearts from the creation, that at least exactly one day in seven should be devoted to their Creator God? Possibly not, since the week and that exact portion seem to have been revealed by special revelation rather than natural revelation. Others probably have looked at this more closely.

It is a characteristic of moral laws that they be evident - to a greater or lesser degree - in the light of nature.
I'm curious to know where you're getting this?

It is a characteristic of moral laws that they be evident - to a greater or lesser degree - in the light of nature.
I'm curious to know where you're getting this?

Because breaking a moral law is a sin for everyone in all nations at all times. However murderous a person or nation may be, it is universally understood in the human conscience that there is something wrong with murder. It is naturally evident. The same is true of stealing, etc. No one in rural China thinks it is a sin to sew two garments together (to my knowledge), but they know that murder is wrong.

The 7 day week. The universal practice of taking some time off work (at least one day a week in most situations). The heathen practices of holy days, worship days, fast days, etc. The innate knowledge of man that our God and creator is to be worshiped (not all set aside on day a week for worship -that is a positive command, but worship takes time, and every man sets aside time to worship something). Etc.

We do seem to be physically geared for a seven-day week. I believe the French revolutionary government in the first flush of its power tried to establish a ten-day week, in order to make a complete break with the old order as well as up productivity. But they very soon were forced to let it lapse, when they found that no amount of tyrannical enforcement could make it stick.
I've never heard of a society anywhere that didn't have the same week - is there one? Have people anywhere in the world evr disagreed over whether today is monday or Saturday?

Im pretty sure the Romans didn't take a day of rest -it was a sticking point between them and the Jews, I believe.

I have heard that the Romans had a ten day week, but I can't provide a source on that.

I'm pretty sure I learned that in my Greek and Roman mythology class. Like, I said, the week was a sticking point between them and the Jews. I don't have a source either though - just my memory

Im pretty sure the Romans didn't take a day of rest -it was a sticking point between them and the Jews, I believe.

I have heard that the Romans had a ten day week, but I can't provide a source on that.
well, you two if you're right have just completely wiped out my nice tidy hypothesis!!
....and it looks as if you are right - pity...
I just checked, and it seems the Romans worked with a calendar (based on Ides and so on) almost as ridiculous as their maths (I, II, III, IV, V).
That would mean it was Christianity that made the 7-day week universal

well, you two if you're right have just completely wiped out my nice tidy hypothesis!!
I just checked, and it seems the Romans worked with a calendar (based on Ides and so on) almost as ridiculous as their maths (I, II, III, IV, V).

Sorry Jenny! :p

It's interesting, the Catechism acknowledges this.

Westminster Larger Catechism
[emphasis added]

Q. 121. Why is the word Remember set in the beginning of the fourth commandment?

A. The word Remember is set in the beginning of the fourth commandment,[637] partly, because of the great benefit of remembering it, we being thereby helped in our preparation to keep it,[638] and, in keeping it, better to keep all the rest of the commandments,[639] and to continue a thankful remembrance of the two great benefits of creation and redemption, which contain a short abridgment of religion;[640] and partly, because we are very ready to forget it,[641] for that there is less light of nature for it,[642] and yet it restraineth our natural liberty in things at other times lawful;[643] that it cometh but once in seven days, and many worldly businesses come between, and too often take off our minds from thinking of it, either to prepare for it, or to sanctify it;[644] and that Satan with his instruments labours much to blot out the glory, and even the memory of it, to bring in all irreligion and impiety.[645]

To be fair, something does not have to be universal observed in order to qualify for being of the light of nature. I think all that would be required is that societies suffer when it is not observed.

CT

I remember when we once figured out that my boss had worked for 42 days straight, 14++ hours a day. Working for him during that time shed some light on (human) nature.

Communist Russia also went to a 10-day week for some time. You worked 8 days and rested two. The intent of it, according to my Russian teacher, was to prevent regular church-going.

Austin, Dabney addresses this a little bit in his essay on the sabbath. Follow this link and click on "The Christian Sabbath".

The Sabbath is a positive-moral command. The law of nature tells you that a certain proportion of time ought to be set aside for God (see WCF XXI.7). God's institution makes that a surprisingly low one day in seven.

Interesting. That would suggest evidence towards a hypothesis I've been considering, namely that the failure of the French Revolution's 10-day week was caused by a conditioning to a 7-day week in the adult population that rendered it difficult to adapt to a 10-day week, rather than an innate genetic tendency towards a 7-day week.

The light of nature reveals the need for rest, God's law commands to work six and to rest on the Sabbath, (Lord's Day). The Lord's Day is a time to celebrate what the Lord has done, to give or bodies and minds rest from worldly activities, and to gather with the saints. The unregenerate have a desire to rest but is distorted by not acknowledging God's command to rest on the day he has designated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back