Ligonier digital sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
There are massive reductions on many Ligonier e-books at the minute, with titles going for as little as $1.00. Authors include R. C. Sproul, Steven Lawson, John MacArthur, W. Robert Godfrey, Sinclair Ferguson, Daniel R. Hyde, and Joel Beeke.

Thanks for sharing this, Daniel. I loaded up with 23 new books yesterday, and after taxes, was still out the door for under $25. What a wonderful opportunity to expand your library!

After @Minh's recent thread, I decided to restrict myself to only three purchases coming in at only $3.00. ;) Joking aside, that is three books (R. C. Sproul on 1 & 2 Peter, Bob Godfrey's Learning to Love the Psalms, and JMac's Stand Firm) for the same price as an expensive cup of covfefe.

The Mrs. allows me a small monthly stipend for theology books; this may be the first month I actually stayed within the allotted amount! :banana:

I really like Ligonier's digital book purchase setup, which just gives you access to the file under your account, and used on whatever device I choose.

I am beginning to be more cautious about buying Kindle books, as despite their excellent prices, their books are proprietary and cannot be exported out. Further, Amazon's current trend of banishing books that they don't agree with, is equally concerning; it's only a matter of time before sound-theological works begin to be removed. Let's hope places like Ligonier and Reformation Heritage Books continue to offer a competitive alternative for ebooks!

I am beginning to be more cautious about buying Kindle books, as despite their excellent prices, their books are proprietary and cannot be exported out. Further, Amazon's current trend of banishing books that they don't agree with, is equally concerning; it's only a matter of time before sound-theological works begin to be removed. Let's hope places like Ligonier and Reformation Heritage Books continue to offer a competitive alternative for ebooks!

I have no qualms about it. I regularly edit the formatting on my Kindle books and store them in Calibre. If Amazon goes down or bans a book, I still have them all and can convert to epub or whatever I want. I do not accept the morality of the position that says I don't own the ebooks I paid for.

I have no qualms about it. I regularly edit the formatting on my Kindle books and store them in Calibre. If Amazon goes down or bans a book, I still have them all and can convert to epub or whatever I want. I do not accept the morality of the position that says I don't own the ebooks I paid for.
How do you do that? Is there an instruction link?

It requires the Calibre open-source software that is basically an ebook library manager. You can tag things, add covers, convert to other formats, edit the books, organize them into collections, etc.

Then add the deDRM plugin (us a search engine to find it).

You'll have to add your Kindle's serial number to the plugin.

Then there are a couple of ways of getting books into Calibre (which is a great piece of software by the way). You can connect your device and import all the books currently on it, or go to amazon.com/mycd and download the books one by one (I do this for each new book I purchase).

Now note that this does not use Amazon's cloud service so when you connect a new device and transfer books from your Calibre library to your new device, you won't have the same highlights or notes (you can back up your highlights and notes if that's important to you though). For me, the convenience is a small price to pay for actually being able to do what I want with my books. For someone who can't give up that convenience, they could at least still store a local copy of their ebook and continue to use Amazon's service until/if that is no longer an option.

Like I said, I edit books all the time, whether from Project Gutenberg or from Amazon. Some publishers / authors are terrible at publishing, embedding font sizes for the body, leaving gaps between paragraphs, etc. All easy to fix in Calibre if you have a little html / css experience. Or you can try its automated method too.

With Calibre, I manage our household's library for my wife and kids. Basically, none of us ever connect to Amazon's cloud and never even turn on wifi. I just keep all the ebooks we buy or get for free in Calibre, connect their device, and send the books they want to their device.

So that's books I get from sales like this, from Project Gutenberg, from Amazon, etc. It all goes in the Calibre library and I can put it on any family member's device.

I picked up 30 books to load to kindle, there was a good selection!

The Mrs. allows me a small monthly stipend for theology books; this may be the first month I actually stayed within the allotted amount! :banana:

This is why my wife and I get allocated "pocket money", so every time I buy books she says "... it's your money" :)

This became a concern for me recently, I asked my self, will all the kindle books I buy be allowed by Amazon in the next 30 years? (let alone 5 or 10).

Thanks for posting about Calibre, never knew this would be a possibility so it helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back