like a dog retruns to his vomit...so does the Roman Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and reminding them of the church’s clout in mitigating the wages of sin.

Christ died for nothing. Shut down the forums, time to move on. Start buying your way out of sin.

It is very kind of them to offer this service. Why get something for free, when you can purchase it?

Why are we bringing it back?” asked Bishop Nicholas A. DiMarzio of Brooklyn, who has embraced the move. “Because there is sin in the world.”

According to church teaching, even after sinners are absolved in the confessional and say their Our Fathers or Hail Marys as penance, they still face punishment after death, in Purgatory before they can enter heaven. In exchange for certain prayers, devotions or pilgrimages in special years, a Catholic can receive an indulgence, which reduces or erases that punishment instantly, with no formal ceremony or sacrament.

...it was interesting: I had a number of people come in and say, ‘Father, I haven’t been to confession in 20 years, but this’ ” — the availability of an indulgence — “ ‘made me think maybe it wasn’t too late.’ ”

This has continued unabated outside the English speaking world. When I spent some time in Latin America, I discovered that if you had the money, you could make payment to the church and join a Good Friday parade where you beat yourself or showed other forms of penitence. The poor lined the streets to watch, wishing they had the money to join in. Sad!

All I want to know is DO THEY TAKE PAYPAL?

My debt was way too big to ever pay back. Fortunately I got a bail out and my grandchildren won't have to pay for it either.

Wasn't 2006 the year of the indulgence, or something like that? Are they just filling the coffers again?

Notice that this is for a limited time only so act now. :banghead:

How does one achieve complete detachment from any inclination to sin???

It appeared prominently on the Web site of the Diocese of Brooklyn, which announced that any Catholic could receive an indulgence at any of six churches on any day, or at dozens more on specific days, by fulfilling the basic requirements: going to confession, receiving holy communion, saying a prayer for the pope and achieving “complete detachment from any inclination to sin.”

I thought the traditional "mass card" was a type of indulgence for the deceased. If so, the indulgence was stealthfully in effect, just the terms and conditions have changed:eek:
Do they post a suggested donation schedule for different sins?:gpl:
Is "two fer" Tuesdays in effect?
Can we make reservations for Mardi Gras?:think:

Notice that this is for a limited time only so act now. :banghead:

How does one achieve complete detachment from any inclination to sin???

It appeared prominently on the Web site of the Diocese of Brooklyn, which announced that any Catholic could receive an indulgence at any of six churches on any day, or at dozens more on specific days, by fulfilling the basic requirements: going to confession, receiving holy communion, saying a prayer for the pope and achieving “complete detachment from any inclination to sin.”

Simple. Just have the Church redefine "sin". After all, what the pope releases on earth will be released in heaven, right? :)

Oh my gosh Doug, a Billy Mays commercial would be so funny! All the guy does is scream into the mic, anyway.

Thanks for posting this,I run into a great number of Catholics here in New England and information like this helps me give them some truth,the majority have no idea what they believe,and when I point these things they are shocked,anyway I also find many willing to listen to what God in the Bible says,I'ts tough to be patient and loving when you read about the horrible lies thier fed,so sad:(
Grace and Peace to you

Last edited:
Ev'ry time a coin in the coffer rings, another soul from Purgatory springs! :luther:

I looked into it and read the article in the OP. The idea of a "get out of hell free" card was almost too good to be true. :think: However, the price was too high . . .

Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Vatican City is in a Panic. They are deeply in the red for the first time in a while. They Have a large porfolio, but made some REALLY bad investments, they were one of the larger non Brokerage House holders that took a beating in the Hedge-Funds. Ouch! Only reason they trot this rot back out.

Vatican City is in a Panic. They are deeply in the red for the first time in a while. They Have a large porfolio, but made some REALLY bad investments, they were one of the larger non Brokerage House holders that took a beating in the Hedge-Funds. Ouch! Only reason they trot this rot back out.

Are you suggesting that they are behind in their mortgage on St Peters Cathedral? The horror!

I wouldn't mind being the repo-man on that job.

Theognome

Are you suggesting that they are behind in their mortgage on St Peters Cathedral? The horror!

I wouldn't mind being the repo-man on that job.

Theognome
The artwork perhaps. The buildings, they need work. I would rip it down and build a condo....then try to pack it with well-heeled Reformed American Christians. THIS would amuse me.

Jon Lake;

Was the Pope taken in by Madoff??

I think there are some misunderstandings circulating in this thread. Specifically, they are the type of misunderstandings that make informed Catholics think Protestants are ignorant schismatics.

First, the sale of indulgences has been officially illegal since 1567. Yes, I know that there are back-door ways of getting them through monetary transaction, but they are granted through many other avenues like prayers, charity, and pilgrimage.

Second, no one can get out of hell through indulgences, only purgatory. You can, I suppose, indulge your way to heaven, but not out of hell. Indulgences remit only temporal punishment for sin.

I think there are some misunderstandings circulating in this thread. Specifically, they are the type of misunderstandings that make informed Catholics think Protestants are ignorant schismatics.

First, the sale of indulgences has been officially illegal since 1567. Yes, I know that there are back-door ways of getting them through monetary transaction, but they are granted through many other avenues like prayers, charity, and pilgrimage.

Second, no one can get out of hell through indulgences, only purgatory. You can, I suppose, indulge your way to heaven, but not out of hell. Indulgences remit only temporal punishment for sin.
It is a "Roman Logic" semantic smoke screen! Hell/Purgatory, it boils down the same thing.

This is a very good business move on their part. With all the lawsuits against them, they are probably in need of some extra cash flow... monetary charity I mean. ;)

They may not be using the methods of Johann Tetzel, but the substance is all there, and never went away in catholic countries. There are churches here where any faithful catholic can get a plenary indulgence by confession, mass, prayers for the pope and dozens of Hail Mary, any time of the year. The current bishop of Rome in 2005 issued a plenary indulgence available to anyone by simply attending the World Youth Day in Cologne. Anyone can order a special mass for a faithful departed, of course with a "voluntary offer" to the priest.

These announcements are no different from a "Limited Time - Call Now" offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back