Just like a prayer, I'll take you there
It's like a dream to me
It's like a dream to me
It's like a dream to me
It's like a dream to me

I couldn't begin to expound the meaning of these lyrics. The video was highly offensive.

Wikipedia:

"Like a Prayer" was her most explicit artistic statement at the time. She incorporated rock, dance, pop, soul and funk elements into the album. She chose the title track as the first single. When it came out, Pepsi intended to use it as part of their commercial campaign featuring Madonna as the spokesperson. In addition, they would sponsor a 1989 world tour. However, the release of the video for "Like A Prayer" caused a firestorm. In it, Madonna witnesses a murder, makes love to a saint, displays stigmata after cutting her palms on a knife, and dances in a field of burning crosses. Religious groups were furious and threatened to boycott Pepsi. Pepsi decided the risk was too great and they cancelled their contract with Madonna.

What do you mean?? There's great theology there:

"no end and no beginning" - clearly Alpha and Omega ...
"no choice your voice can take me there" - good ole' predestination ...

... what more could you ask for? :lol: yeah ... no

I must confess, I found the tune was quite catchy ...

... but like much pop product out there, not edifying in the least. To what does she refer? She alone could tell you that. The safer conclusion to draw is what she cannot possibly be referring to:

The true Lord God of the Bible. He is neither a mystical force nor the puppeteer "like a child" whimsy she describes.

Jehovah is neither a muse nor a dream. Let's not even start with the taking of His name in vain.

At best, this song is a mix of incoherent mystical babble, at its worst, it's a sensualised caricature of God of blasphemous proportions.

My view is that there are bits of pop out there that are harmlessly fun - for example, her Caribbean-sounding "La Isla Bonita" was a fun song. Not spiritually uplifting per se, but not evil either.

This one, though, (In my humble opinion) gets the boot.

dl

She is into Jewish mysticism (among other things). I am wondering if the voice is a human or something else. I was going to use this line on our youth worldviews class in dicussing individualism: "Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone."

Originally posted by Scott
She is into Jewish mysticism (among other things). I am wondering if the voice is a human or something else. I was going to use this line on our youth worldviews class in dicussing individualism: "Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone."

Keep in mind the song came out in 1989, years before she discovered Kabbalah. The video reflects a Catholic (albeit bizzare and unorthodox) approach to religion.

Good to know. BTW, you seem to know allot about Madonna. I am concerned about that. ;)

As 90% of rock lyrics are doggerel, and 90% of rock songs are about "love", so Madonna is just using a simile of "prayer" to express attraction to someone. Certainly the video suggested a Catholic like interpretation, but that's another medium, isn't it?

Originally posted by Scott

The meaning, knowing Madonna, has duel intentions (if you know what I mean). So, essentially, it is trash.

[Edited on 3-14-2006 by Scott Bushey]

I really liked this song as a teenager...partially because of the religious imagery. However, even as a teenager, the sensual insinuation was obvious (and thus blasphemous).

"so Madonna is just using a simile of "prayer" to express attraction to someone"

That is my guess too. I suspected that it might have a double meaning, some sort of religious mysticism. But who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back