Linda Ronstadt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
...has announced that she has Parkinson's Disease, and that it has robbed her of the ability to sing. She was 67 in July. I remember her being a good singer back in the '70s and '80s. Such a shame.

I would not wish Parkinson's on ANYone. Shaking, rigidity, slowness . . . Parkinsonian dementia. While some experience relatively minor symptoms for several years, it is a progressive and degenerative disease.

While I grew up on her music and enjoyed it immensely, her politics left me cold. She called George Bush an idiot and "enormously incompetent," could not stop praising Michael Moore, and has championed gay rights, same sex marriage and stated that "homophobia is anti-family values. Period, end of story." She was also one of the pioneers of the Hollywood chic of single women eschewing marriage while adopting children.

May her disease pass quickly. From a "lifestyle" perspective, the progression can be as bad (or worse) than most cancers.

Desperado
written by Don Henley & Glenn Frey

Desperado
Why don't you come to your senses
You've been out riding fences for so long now
Oh you're a hard one
But I know that you've got your reasons
These things that are pleasing you will hurt you somehow

Don't you draw the queen of diamonds boy
She'll beat you if she's able
The queen of hearts is always your best bet
Well it seems to me some fine things
Have been laid upon your table
But you only want the things that you can't get

Desperado
you know you ain't getting younger
Your pain and your hunger are driving you home
And freedom, oh freedom
Well that's just some people talking
Your prison is walking through this world all alone

Don't your feet get cold in the wintertime
Sky won't snow and the sun won't shine
It's hard to tell the night time from the day
You're losing all your highs and lows
Ain't it funny how the feeling goes away

Desperado
Why don't you come to your senses
Come down from your fences
Open the gate
It may be raining
But there's a rainbow above you
You better let somebody love you
Let somebody love you
Before it's too late

Last edited:
Regardless of politics, I have fond memories of riding in the car with my mother and her singing along at the top of her lungs to Blue Bayou when that song was popular in the late 70's.

She was (I guess I can say that now) a great singer....always hit her notes right down the middle, understood dynamics very well, knew and used all the tools in the vocal "tool box" available to her. I agree with Dennis, however; it's usually the folks I like most (musician, singer, actor,...) that turn out to be the biggest fruitcakes.
On the more important note, may she not see a former President as her biggest problem in life but her own small stature before a holy God.

How quickly our lives fly by. I remember listening to her music in the 70's, sad to see the state she is in today, but it's a reminder to all of us that our lives are but a vapor, then we are gone. May God grant her repentance and faith in Christ...

No one wishes ill on someone who is suffering under a dreadful disease now.

Nor can anyone deny the quality of the voice her Creator gave her. And the appealing way the pop culture presented her.

Neither can anyone admire the public personification of a lifestyle and reputation for fornication amongst the rich and famous, and not so famous.

Pray now that in facing sunset years alone, with regret of having built a life upon sand and realizing the emptiness, loneliness and futility of it all, that she, and her many partners, might turn from self and the ways of death, and toward the Savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back