Link to Calvin's two sermons on the 4th commandment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
For some years the two sermons from Calvin's sermons on Deuteronomy were posted (either a transcript or maybe a translation; don't recall) at the Southfield RPCNA site. Are they still online somewhere? I could not find them earlier.

Anyone have Farley's translation of Calvin's sermons on the ten commandments? I'm interested in how he translates a portion of the next to last paragraph (before the closing) having to do with the day of worship. Below are the Golding, Harmar and the original French. You can see the two translations are somewhat different. Or anyone want to give the French a go and translate it.

Golding: by Moses. And let us consider to what end our Lord commanded the people of old time, to have one day in the week to rest in: to the intent that we knowing how the same* is abolished by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, may take ourselves to the spiritual rest, that is to say, dedicate ourselves wholly unto God, forsaking all our own reason and affections. (*note, Hughes (what I was looking for above) in his modern rendering of Golding reads "knowing how the day is abolished"].

Harmar: by Moses. And withal let us know to what end our Lord hath commanded the ancient people to have one day in the week to rest themselves. And at this day, understanding, how this outward ceremony is abolished by the coming of Christ, let us give ourselves to the spiritual rest:

CO (French): en Moyse. Mais que nous cognoissions à quelle fin nostre Seigneur a commandé au peuple ancien, qu'il eust un iour la sepmaine pour se reposer: qu'auiourd'huy ayans cogneu comment il a este aboli à la venue de nostre Seigneur Iesus Christ, nous ayons le repos spirituel, c'est de nous dedier pleinement à Dieu, renonçans à tous nos sens, à toutes nos affections.

Farley:

by Moses. But that we might understand to what end our Lord commanded the ancient people, that it was a day of the week in which they were to rest, today, having understood that it was abolished with the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, we have the spiritual rest that we might dedicate ourselves fully to God, renouncing all our senses [and] all our affections.

Here is my on-the-fly stab at the Middle French (I'm assuming the "in Moses" or "by Moses" is the end of a previous sentence):

in Moses. However, so that we would know to what end our Lord commanded the ancient people—that there was one day in the week for them to rest themselves—so that in our day it would be known how it was abolished by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, that we would have the spiritual rest; it is for us to dedicate fully to God, renouncing all our sensualness* and all our affections.

*(Sens can mean reason, among other things, but I think contextually, and knowing some of Calvin's other French work, I think here it is more along the lines of sensuality rather than reason.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back