Linux and Windows Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Ellen Nagle

Puritan Board Senior
Folks are raving about Linux and often I am interested in looking into it but I have invested heavily in various software that run on Windows. I do understand there are emulators but can programs like the latest Photoshop/Dreamweaver and such work well on an emulator? Will they perform well?

Thanks in advance for any help in understanding this.

Folks are raving about Linux and often I am interested in looking into it but I have invested heavily in various software that run on Windows. I do understand there are emulators but can programs like the latest Photoshop/Dreamweaver and such work well on an emulator? Will they perform well?

The best way to do Linux is to partition your hard drive in which part of it will be Windows and the other part will be Linux. You will need to backup everything before doing this. I would recommend Free BSD. It's the closest to UNIX. I believe it has an emulator. Emulator speed depends upon the speed and memory of your computer. How fast does your computer run and how much memory do you have?

Many good programs are free which do many if not all of the things Photoshop & Dreamweaver do. Try the GIMP on Windows and compare it to Photoshop. The GIMP is free.

The best way to do Linux is to partition your hard drive in which part of it will be Windows and the other part will be Linux. You will need to backup everything before doing this. I would recommend Free BSD. It's the closest to UNIX. I believe it has an emulator. Emulator speed depends upon the speed and memory of your computer. How fast does your computer run and how much memory do you have?

Many good programs are free which do many if not all of the things Photoshop & Dreamweaver do. Try the GIMP on Windows and compare it to Photoshop. The GIMP is free.

Nice another freeBSD fan. I don't feel so lonely anymore.

Here is the website for wine Wine HQ

You can read up on which windows programs play nice with it.

Come to the dark side brother! WAHAHAAAHA! Mac OS X Leopard!

Because Photoshop/Dreamweaver are so popular, I am sure Linux users have found ways to make them function properly. However, that being said, it might take a lot of work.

As JohnGill said, the best option for you is to simply set you computer up to dual boot using both operation systems. That way you can always go back to Windows if necessary.

Come to the dark side brother! WAHAHAAAHA! Mac OS X Leopard!

I use a old pc for my FreeBSD network file sharing and work from my lovely new 20" imac.

My main PC has an Athlon XP 1800+ and I have 3GB of memory (1 @3200/2 @2700)

What's the Ghz speed of the Athlon chip?

Because Photoshop/Dreamweaver are so popular, I am sure Linux users have found ways to make them function properly. However, that being said, it might take a lot of work.

As JohnGill said, the best option for you is to simply set you computer up to dual boot using both operation systems. That way you can always go back to Windows if necessary.

I was considering a dual boot to try out Linux. I've had a dual boot setup before but will have to learn it all over again. It's been awhile. :)

What's the Ghz speed of the Athlon chip?

Oops. Sorry! It is actually a 2400+ 1.8 Ghz. :)

WINE looks interesting...

WINE looks interesting...

WINE has extensive user reviews on software people are currently using. The rating system seems to be good. While I have only tried to run one app under wine, with limited success, it seems to be one of the better projects out there.

As I said, I have already invested. If I find there are free things that I would prefer to work with I can always resell. I don't know enough to make the change. I'll look into it. :)

I understand. Just giving you freeware options for use on BSD. Adobe Premiere freeware replacement: OpenLaszlo | the premier platform for rich internet applications

By downloading them for windows and comparing them with what you already have you can make a more informed decision about dual running Windows and BSD. The freeware saved versions are compatible with adobe's programs.

KompoZer is one of the best Dreamweaver replacement I've found. You should also consider Aptana Studio for some serious work. But try OpenLaszio. No seriously try it. It is an excellent program.. Gimp with Gimpshop I find to be better than Photoshop. There is also 'jashaka' which is a good video editor. The best free audio editor, and even better than some you buy, is Audacity. You might also download OpenOffice.org which makes Flash files. And of course Inkscape.

As I said, I have already invested. If I find there are free things that I would prefer to work with I can always resell. I don't know enough to make the change. I'll look into it. :)

I understand. Just giving you freeware options for use on BSD. Adobe Premiere freeware replacement: OpenLaszlo | the premier platform for rich internet applications

By downloading them for windows and comparing them with what you already have you can make a more informed decision about dual running Windows and BSD. The freeware saved versions are compatible with adobe's programs.

KompoZer is one of the best Dreamweaver replacement I've found. You should also consider Aptana Studio for some serious work. But try OpenLaszio. No seriously try it. It is an excellent program.. Gimp with Gimpshop I find to be better than Photoshop. There is also 'jashaka' which is a good video editor. The best free audio editor, and even better than some you buy, is Audacity. You might also download OpenOffice.org which makes Flash files. And of course Inkscape.

I appreciate the information. This will be fun to explore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back