List Books on RPW

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
I think it would be good to compile a list of books that demonstrate the exegesis and understadning of the RPW.

Post things you think would be most helpful reading.

Fred Said:
"Leading in Worship" by Terry Johnson
"Give Praise to God" An anthology edited by Ligon Duncan and Derek Thomas
Explanations on the Confession by Williamson,Shaw or Hodge.
Sam Waldron also has an excellent explanation in his commentary on the 1689.
"Gospel Worship," by Jeremiah Burroughs

[Edited on 10-14-2005 by webmaster]

Some online sources mentioned by others or not already,

See in print,

• John Knox, A Vindication of the Doctrine that the Sacrifice of the Mass is Idolatry. ed. David Laing (Edinburgh: Printed for the Bannatyne Club, 1854) v. 3.
    George Gillespie, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies (Naphtali Press, 1993).
    James Begg, Anarchy in Worship. Edinburgh 1875
Also, for those not familiar with them, here is an early statement from the Waldensian Confession and Catechism.
A Confession of Faith of the Waldenses, bearing date A.D. 1120, taken from the Cambridge MSS. 378
Article X: Item, we have always accounted as an unspeakable abomination before God, all those inventions of men, namely, the feasts and the vigils of saints, the water which they call holy. As likewise to abstain from flesh upon certain days, and the like; but especially their masses. The Waldenses: Sketches of The Evangelical Christians of the Valleys of Piedmont (Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication, 1853) 378.

Catechism of the Ancient Waldenses for the instruction of their Youth, composed in the 13th century.

Min. By what mark knowest thou the false ministers?

Ans. By their fruits; by their blindness; by their evil works; by their perverse doctrines, and by their undue administration of the sacraments.

Min. Whereby knowest thou their blindness?

Ans. When not knowing the truth, which necessarily appertains to salvation, they observe human inventions as ordinances of God. Of whom is verified what Isaiah says, and which is alleged by our Lord Jesus Christ, Matt. 15., "œThis people honor me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

I might add that it would really be helpful if only books directly on point were named. It is really virtually no help to someone who is first thinking through this issue to have to wade through a book that is a quick summary of the RPW and then 95% on the issues of the prohibition of images of Christ by the 2nd commandment (which I embrace) or Exclusive Psalmody (which I do not).

Chris' recommendations are good.

[Edited on 10/14/2005 by fredtgreco]

I would also be interested to hear the #1 book on the RPW. I would like to give a copy to my Pastor and one of our elders who are interested in studying the subject.

I have read many articles on the subject, but not any full-out books defining it.

Also, another problem, many Puritan RPW exegetical pieces are strewn throughout thier works and sermons and that makes it difficult to gather them up.

Worship of the English Puritans by Horton Davies is a good overview
and Worship of the American Puritans.

Are there any good exegetical RPW books that cover things from start to finish? I'm looking around my library and don't have one specific book I can turn to.

Originally posted by webmaster
Are there any good exegetical RPW books that cover things from start to finish? I'm looking around my library and don't have one specific book I can turn to.

You could always write one! :D

Trust me, I'm feeling that weight. One of my friends is dealing with the RPW right now, and there is no solid exegetcial work that i know that deals with all the questions (especially the hard ones).

Gospel Worship by Archibald Hall
The Scriptural Regulative Principle of Worship by G.I. Williamson
A Catechism on Praise by Alexander Blaikie
The Voice of His Praise by Rev. James Kerr and Rev. John M'Donald
A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies in God's Worship by William Ames

Three Thomases -- Thomas Boston, Thomas Vincent and Thomas Ridgeley -- on the Second Commandment

Ames - forgot that one.

"Gospel Worship" by Archibald Hall
"The Scriptural Regulative Principle of Worship" by G.I. Williamson
"A Catechism on Praise" by Alexander Blaikie
"The Voice of His Praise" by Rev. James Kerr and Rev. John M'Donald
"A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies in God's Worship" by William Ames
"Worship of the English Puritans" by Horton Davies
"Worship of the American Puritans" by Horton Davies
"Scriptural Worship" by Carl Bogue
"Discretionary Power of the Church" by John L. Girardeau
Online at http://www.naphtali.com/Girard.htm
James Durham on the 2nd Commandment
http://www.fpcr.org/blue_banner_articles/Durham-2nd-Commandment-1.htm
"A Vindication of the Doctrine that the Sacrifice of the Mass is Idolatry" by John Knox, ed. David Laing (Edinburgh: Printed for the Bannatyne Club, 1854) v. 3.
"A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies" by George Gillespie (Naphtali Press, 1993).
"Anarchy in Worship", by James Begg, Edinburgh 1875
"Leading in Worship" by Terry Johnson
"Give Praise to God" An anthology edited by Ligon Duncan and Derek Thomas
Explanations on the Confession by Williamson,Shaw or Hodge.
Sam Waldron also has an excellent explanation in his commentary on the 1689 Baptist Confession
"Gospel Worship," by Jeremiah Burroughs

Originally posted by wsw201
I would highly recommend D.G. Hart's book "With Reverance and Awe".

Don't forget... that great book was co-authored with John Meuther, and it is the first one I thought of as well.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Worship in Spirit and in Truth by John Frame ;)?

I would add James Bannerman's Church of Christ, part 3, matters in regard to which church power is exercised, division 2, church power exercised in regard to ordinances. This work is important because it deals with the regulative principle in its proper locus, namely, in relation to the exercise of church power. Modern works tend to stress the regulation of worship itself. But when seen in the light of church power being regulated, the RPW does not stand out as if manufactured for the purpose of justifying certain parts of worship, but is intricately connected with the regulation of doctrine and government under the headship of Christ. Presented as such it is much easier to appreciate the importance of the principle.

Originally posted by armourbearer
I would add James Bannerman's Church of Christ, part 3, matters in regard to which church power is exercised, division 2, church power exercised in regard to ordinances. This work is important because it deals with the regulative principle in its proper locus, namely, in relation to the exercise of church power. Modern works tend to stress the regulation of worship itself. But when seen in the light of church power being regulated, the RPW does not stand out as if manufactured for the purpose of justifying certain parts of worship, but is intricately connected with the regulation of doctrine and government under the headship of Christ. Presented as such it is much easier to appreciate the importance of the principle.
:ditto:One of the best things Banner of Truth did on the subject of worship was to publish Bannerman and Reformation of the Church. Rarely if ever did Banner again get that articulate on it (the story I've heard is Lloyd Jones was horrified that something so Presbyterian as Bannerman was being published by BoT). The Reformation of the Church no doubt helped popularize the moniker Regulative Principle of Worship which best I have been able to tell was coined or at least put on the map by John Murray in his articulating of the prinicple in the initial 1946 OPC study report on worship song. See both RPW articles in the 2005 and 2006 issues of The Confessional Presbyterian for more information. http://www.cpjournal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back