Listening to the Psalms sung

alexanderjames

Puritan Board Sophomore
Hello friends who love the Psalms, what do you enjoy listening to?

I like Crown and Covenant and 'The Psalms Sung' but am searching for more. There is a multitude of hymns and songs online with memorable melodies, and my desire is to get the Psalms dwelling richly in the heart.

Here are a few I like:

Psalms of the Trinity Psalter from IPC Savannah: (they have two more volumes as well) Note these are done with an organ

The Psalms Sung: Mostly congregational singing (a capella)

The Psalmody Sessions: Scottish Psalter sung to calm instrumental music. Easy for listening.

Grange Press has two nice offerings you can download; one is various Psalm selections and the other is Psalm 119 sung through, great for memorization as well as meditation.

In Dutch male singing (mannenzang) is readily available and it is the kind of singing I like, but I can’t find an English counterpart. Neither in any other language for that matter. Perhaps I use the wrong words when searching. I hope it exists and someone can direct me to it.

This is an example of what I mean by male singing:

The Psalmody Sessions: Scottish Psalter sung to calm instrumental music. Easy for listening.
Very nice.
I sing the 1650 in private devotions exclusively. Although not radically EP, I have scrapped most (95%±) hymns. I open to the Psalms in the back of the Trinity Hymnal and sing those words as best I can as the congregation sings the second-class man-invented hymns. But, if you ever noticed, the "hard," E.g., Psalm 88 etc., are missing.

Oh, LORD, teach us what it means to, "Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of?"

In Dutch male singing (mannenzang) is readily available and it is the kind of singing I like, but I can’t find an English counterpart. Neither in any other language for that matter. Perhaps I use the wrong words when searching. I hope it exists and someone can direct me to it.

Here’s the Genevan psalter version of Psalm 42 sung in English by men. One of my very favorites.

Does "niet ritmisch" (non-rhythmic i.e. all notes the same length) exist in Protestant worship outside the most conservative churches in the Netherlands? A Dutchman once suggested to me that older Free Presbyterian singing of some psalms had similarities to it. I think we were talking about the Old 100th. There was certainly a lot of singing in the Highlands where the rhythm was not that printed in the post-1977 Free Church book - consider for instance "London New".

I think for Psalmody there is no better resource than Soundcloud. There are numerous offerings on there. Have a look at some of these:

Does "niet ritmisch" (non-rhythmic i.e. all notes the same length) exist in Protestant worship outside the most conservative churches in the Netherlands? A Dutchman once suggested to me that older Free Presbyterian singing of some psalms had similarities to it. I think we were talking about the Old 100th. There was certainly a lot of singing in the Highlands where the rhythm was not that printed in the post-1977 Free Church book - consider for instance "London New".
When Petrus Datheen made his psalter in the 16th century he didn't care about the meter of our Dutch language. Stresses, long vowels and short vowels, it is a mess. It was therefor hardly possible to sing his psalms on the original melodies. So Dutch reformed singing in worship up untill the 20th century had become non-rhythmic. And rhythmic singing is a practice of not yet a century old. Once a church chooses to use the restored melodies in worship it will abandon non-rhythmic singing completely. Non-rhythmic singing therefor doesn't exist outside conservative churches.

Last edited:
Here is a good music resource for multiple languages of the Psalter: Dutch, Engl., German, Afrikaans, French, etc.

https://psalmboek.nl/zingen.php?ber=9&psID=6

Berijmingen /Talen (rhyming languages)

So you see Datheen first, and other Dutch and move right to “Engels” English (which is similar to “Duits" 2).You will never find a metrical index, but “Duits 2” is Matthias Jorissen’s 18th century Psalter with the quarter and half notes, and of course is easier to sing for English singers.

To play the music, go up and to the right under Iso-ritmish and click M64 for the quarter and half notes (or M50 for the other extreme that Klaas was referring to). M64 is easy to sing --- M50 is the very old way.

Back